Hi

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer in January this year following a long period of almost constant heavy and painful menstruation. Long story short I will have my hysterectomy in 3 days time, stopped work today,  and worried/ scared that cancer may have spread.  

My husband is wonderful and supportive but I feel sharing my concerns with him would be unfair on him  emotionally. Feel the same way about talking to family and friends.  Know I'm probably just being daft but ...

• Oh bless you , it’s ok to be scared..I found it very difficult at the beginning to vocalise my thoughts and share with my immediate family as I was always the strong one...you will know when you can share... it’s your choice when you can talk about it... I am 7 weeks post operation and found that loved ones really need to be involved as they will wait for you  to take the lead in when you wanna share... from my experience try to keep them  factually informed of what is going to happen, what to expect ..the limitations you will have after your operation 

break you own thoughts down into what you need to do tomorrow, and prepare for being in hospital....that’s is enough for now... having the hysterectomy is the first stage in getting well, so big girl knickers on and concentrate on getting out of hospital as soon as you can...

by the way you are never daft on here..there’s never an emotion that most of us haven’t felt and there will always be a supportive virtual friend

Keep strong 

big hug

Sue

• Hi and a warm welcome to our little corner of the online community. We've a group of of lovely supportive ladies here who are all either starting, in the middle of, or finished this roller coaster ride so we'll all be here to listen to your concerns, hold your hand and send a hug.

as says, you need to involve your hubby, he's probably worrying that you're bottling things up so you need to share your concerns. It might be a good idea to look at the Friends and family form and also Emotional IssuesThe things quite a few ladies here have mentioned is how hard it can be for those around us to understand how we feel about the bombshell of a cancer diagnosis, whereas all of us here on this forum do!

Easy to say, hard not to do is the worry about spread. Histology after the op will reveal if any further treatment is needed and I've found the NHS are brilliant.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi . Just re-read your comment, think I might change my quotation to "Get big girl Knickers on" still making me giggle.

Big hugs Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thanks for being so kind and understanding,  I really do appreciate it x

• You're more than welcome. We've all been there with the disbelief, anger, hysteria. This is a rollercoaster ride with emotions both high and low. Hope your op goes well, come back and tell us how it went. Are you having keyhole?

Don't forget to ask hubby to take a pillow for your journey home, you'll be surprised how much you'll notice the potholes. Also after definitely no lifting, hoovering (I got away with that for about 4 months!) and take things slowly - your body will tell you.

Sending you big hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

I will do and thanks for advice on pillow. Makes a lot of sense but would never have thought about it. Plan is for keyhole but given scar tissue from previous procedures  was advised it may not be, hoping it is obviously!