Burning sensation knees and both thighs

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hello, I am new to this forum and have just completed brachytherapy following chemo and surgery for Serous adenocarciinoma stage 1B. I had all groin lymph nodes removed and experienced numbness and burning in my thighs and knees. I was told this would go and return to normal but no change so far. Has anyone else experienced this issue and did it resolve eventually ?

• Hi . Welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. We've a very supportive group of ladies here and hopefully we can answer your questions. I myself had the stage 1B, grade 3 serous. I only had 3 sessions of Brachytherapy and apart from 1 day of squits, nothing else. Hopefully someone here will have insight. In the meantime it might be a good idea to have a word with your CNS. 

You could also Ask a Nurse here on the Macmillan site, please allow a 2 day delay for replies.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi ermi 

i am 12 weeks post surgery I also had surgery for sepsis I had stage 1a grade 3 I had 3 sessions of brackytheraphy from which I had cystis that lasted 3 weeks I am still sore when I wee but test have cam back clear 

when I finsish treatment I didn’t have burning in legs but very painful calve muscles and I thought it might be blood clot I started to try and walk a bit more each day which has helped I get knee pain also plus my legs at the top are still numb and have pins and needles as does my area round my wound 

I guess it all takes time and we are on edge that things maybe aren’t going as fast as we would like I feel I should be doing more but I still get tired and get twinges inside that freaks u out 

hope that is of some help to you 

this is an excellent forum with kind people that are all going through the same some worse than others unfortunately.Hopfully u will be feeling better soon I know I am most days it just take time 

good luck and stay safe L 5

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lara 5

Hi Lara, thank you for your reply and sorry learn about your sepsis and cystitis. I hope you are continuing to feel better day by day.

I had my surgery in September and was told that because they removed all my groin lymph nodes I would have numbness at the top of my legs for a while. I think I am beginning  to get concerned that I might be developing some lymphoedema and need to know if I am worrying unnecessarily. I try to make sure I exercise and walk about 2 miles everyday. I am hoping to speak to my CNS tomorrow so fingers crossed. 

• Hi Emri,

I only had a hysterectomy, but had lymph nodes removed round the womb. After about 3 months I noticed my left ankle swells up by evening. It goes down overnight.  I immediately thought of lymphoedema. I have asked various medical people about this. My consultant thought it was to do with blood pressure!! The CNS was too busy to even look at it. My doctor said it wasn't bad and to worry when it gets 3 times the size of the other!! Put it up in the evening. The nurse also said it wasn't bad. So, I am living with it unless it gets visibly worse, and keeping active meantime. I'll add my operation was 3 years ago.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. xxxx

• Hi Emri - I had all groin lymph nodes removed too. I had a lot of numbness and weird sensations in my thighs, groin, and pubic bone area. Not as far as my knees though. I have been told it is probably nerve damage and irritation from the lymph node removal. I had to ask around a lot because the hospital gave no information about this. They are very focused on recovery from surgery and the risks that come with that. I found it disappointing that there was no information or reassurance available about recovery from lymph nodes. I am now 9 weeks post surgery and the sensations are much less now so I’m hopeful it will clear up altogether. I have been told it can take several months. It has been slow for sure, but it is changing and getting better. I’m sure yours will too. Wishing you the best. 

JWO Green heart

• Hi Emri, I had 14 lymph nodes removed during surgery late last October, and have experienced numbness and burning/stinging pains in pubic area and front of both thighs. It was very painful but has eased considerably. I assumed it was from the position we're put in to enable surgery to take place, and where the femoral nerve gets trapped. More recently I've also had burning/stinging pains in both lower legs and feet. My GP sent me for an X-ray to determine whether cancer had spread to spine, but it appears not, thankfully. These pains are more likely to be related to stiffness in sacrum area of the spine (I had tweaked my back a few weeks ago). Hope your pains start to ease soon. Dx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Dreamweaver

Hi Dreamweaver, thank you for,your reply. It’s reassuring to know I am not going through this alone. The numbness in my thighs is reducing but still numb. my surgery was August so I think  I am just a bit slow! I still have tightness and hypersensitivity around my left knee. My GP has referred my to (virtual) physio. I don’t know if it will help,but willing to,try.
    I have spoken to my Oncologist who didn’t think I was developing lymphoedema which is good to know but she had referred me for a MRI ,just waiting for a date. I will post the results. Thanks to everyone for your support.