Post op and emotional issues

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 90 subscribers

Hi i am new to the group, i was recently diagnosed with womb cancer in August.  I had a total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago and recovering physically from that.  However i am struggling emotionally.  I am not sure if its now everything has caught up with me or a mixture of my relationship ending a week prior to my operation.  

I cannot seem to switch my brain off.  I had the results from my hysterectomy on 24 November, the consulant seemed poaitive in that they had removed all of the cancer.  It was stage 2 and had grown into my cervix as they had thought.  I was praying that surgery would be the end of it, however, i was told i would require radiation therapy as a preventative treatment.  This would be brachytherapy over 3//4 sessions. 

I attended my consultation yesterday to find i will have both external radioation over 25 sessions and 5 sessions of brachytherapy.  I was overwhelmed emotionally and now i am struggling.  They also mentioned chemotherapy but not that i would necessairily have this.  I have great family support although they are 400 miles away, i have friends nearby but i feel so isolated and frightened.

• Hi KTE,

Sorry you find yourself here.

You have had a lot to deal with emotionally. Its bad enough with a relationship finishing, without having to have more treatment, and the Covid worry on top. When I got my results I had worked myself up for radiotherapy, but was assured I needed no more treatment. I felt like a heap of jelly, I was so relieved.

I know how you feel about family being so far away. This year is the first year we have not gone North to see our relatives and our roots! Their Covid rates were very high, so we made the decision to not visit. Have you a best friend that you can rely on for help and support? xxxxx

• That’s a lot to deal with. Please try and focus on just the next steps. I found the worst phase was when all the treatment ended, the emotions really kicked in then. There is so much to deal with when you get a cancer diagnosis. You need support now and for the next few months. Reach out to friends, talk to your nurse. Can you get a family member to spend some time with you? You will be very fatigued after the radiotherapy. Wishing you strength. You will get through this x

• Sending hugs and loving thoughts your way, with a dash of courage and strength xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

Hello NannyAnny, thank you for your kind words.  Unfortunately my best friend also bailed telling me the problems were not hers but mine and she didnt want  to be involved anymore.. i suppose when you are at your lowest you find out who your real friends are.  I have a few friends who have been extremely supportive as have my work colleagues. Thank you and take care x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Galanthophile

Thank you x

• Not a friend at all, then!  You certainly find out who your true friends are in these circumstances. We have learnt that one. xxxxx

• Oh my love, I do feel for you having a relationship end and a friend who isn't there for you. Cancer seems to affect people close to us in different ways, some emotionally smother you and others back off completely.

Rest assured someone will be here that's going /been through the same and will listen or hold your hand. I've been married for over 40 years and have found my hubby has the emotional empathy of a plank - he's even called me a drama queen when I was having a particularly bad day! 

Big hugs to you, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• what a lot to have to go through at once, yes you certainly get to know who your true friends are when you are at your lowest and asking for support and they throw it back in your face, I have had that one. Harder still that you had a relationship break down too. Sadly covid has made things difficult to but i am glad your work colleagues are supportive that is good to hear in deed. 

Sending you a big bear hug 

Community Champion badge_GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

• I am so sorry to hear you are so alone but you sound like a strong lady and will emerge from this with new compassionate friends that will help you move forward. The good think about this site is you can say anything you feel and emotions I find are so difficult to deal with as they at times take you unaware which isn't good if you are used to being in control. Stay positive my friend and look forward a day at a time.