New to this

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello,  newbie here.

Thought I would share my journey to date.

Suffered heavy long periods for many years. Decided enough was enough and saw my gp who sent me to our local gynae department at the hospital.

Initially I had a vaginal ultrasound which was confirmed I had a polyp on my womb and a cyst in my ovary.

I had a hysteroscopy  3 weeks ago where they removed several polyps and my consultant was lovely. She had noted she would see me in four months as a follow up.

Until I received a letter last week for a fast track appointment back to gynae.

Today I was told I had precancerous EIN and also a cancerous polyp stage 1.

I have been told that they don't feel I need a body scan or anything like that as they think it is localised ...but I will be having a hysterectomy via keyhole.

I have a meeting with the surgeon next week as the MDT team has already had their meeting.

I knew that there had to be something as it wasn't rocket science that a letter that quick to get me back would be good news.

I feel better in some way that now I know, but the anxiety has now changed and I wonder what if they miss something by not having a scan? 

Just not sure what to be thinking at the moment.

• Hello Birdie22

Welcome to our group. We've all been in the same place wondering what if?, why me? and living constantly in a state of high anxiety.

It sounds like your gynae team  are on the ball. Once you've had your hysterectomy, anything removed will be analysed and then you may find you need some further treatment so I wouldn't worry too much about not having had a scan at the moment.

In my own case my hysteroscopy revealed nothing untoward but the biopsies revealed abnormal cells. 6 weeks ago I had a TLH, BSO Omentectomy and pelvic flush. At the time I was told they removed the cancer and I hoped nothing more would be needed. However the histology revealed my tumour had been 4cms, was a serous Stage 1B grade 3 so I start my brachytherapy tomorrow, 3 x sessions of 10 minutes for the next 3 weeks.

Everyone on this forum is so supportive and hopefully will answer any questions you may have. We've all been there in some shape, manner or form and will listen if you want to vent, scream or just want a friendly ear to bend.

Take care, sending you hugs. Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Birdie22,

Welcome to our little group. I had my meeting with my surgeon two weeks ago and was given a preliminary date of mid November. I’m presently waiting for my surgery date confirmation. As Barb says don’t worry about not having a scan at the moment as everything they remove during surgery is checked and analysed to determine whether further treatment is needed. They are very thorough and knowledgeable about this stuff. I can understand your anxiety, we’ve all been there, I’m still there at times. I firmly believe this little beggar (my polite name for cancer) plays with your mind and emotions Please feel free to vent, scream, cry , whatever you need to do to help relieve your stress or anxiety. The ladies on here are all at different stages of their journey and are always willing to help in any way they can.  Sending you some gentle hugs HuggingBe kind to yourself and remember you’re not alone. 

Take Care

AngieRaising hand tone1

• Hi Birdie, don't worry about all the scans etc. Like everyone says, they can do a lot of that stuff after the op and once they get the histology report.  Like you I had a vaginal ultrasound scan, expecting to find a polyp as I've had them before. They did a biopsy at the same time, and the results showed there were cancerous cells present. So it was straight to op for me, no other scans. I am now 9 weeks post op and my histology results showed I was grade 1stage 1b so my consultant recommended three sessions of brachytherapy. At the first session they did a ct scan, I'm due my second session this Friday.  

A lot of hospitals have their own way of proceeding, and all our treatments seem to be tailored to what they think we need..  My surgery was keyhole, and I recovered very quickly. The sooner you get a date for your op the better, as all of us have done the sitting around and  fretting, stage and it's awful as your imagination goes into overdrive.  Good luck on your journey!

Viv

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for all of your replies today. Such a mix of emotions and only day 1, which isn't helped when I suffer from anxiety at the best of times.

I've been reading through a few of other people's posts on here and there seems to be not many that have just had keyhole and no further treatment. It would be great if I didn't have to but only time will tell. I do wonder how long I have had this for too. Did anyone who hadn't had their menopause have any signs?

I'm sure like many I just got use to my periods being so heavy and so long too, that after so long it becomes the norm. Ironic that my period after they removed the polyps was the shortest one I've ever had at 6 days!

As for the menopause...who knows what that will be like.

• Hello Birdie our emotions go up and down our thought race ten to the dozen getting diagnosis for me that I had been hit by a bullet the way I cope was taking one step at the time but this forum is brilliant they give helpful tips encouragement and make coping easier