So scared

• 2 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hello

I started having spot bleeding just a couple of weeks ago. All my life I've had heavy periods with clots and severe period pains. I also have ehler danlos syndrome so I've always had hip and right shoulder pain all my life too, especially since having my youngest 9 years ago. I've also always had rectal bleeding from fissures. Recently I was feeling like my underwear was getting too tight around my groin. I started getting watery foul smelling discharge. It wasn't until I got the bleed which is unusual for me that spurred me to go to the doctor. 

She checked my cervix and found lesions. This is where I know its been left too long as its quite obviously spread to the cervix. She referred me for a transvaginal scan which showed polyps in the endometrial area as well as adenomyosis. I was shaking so much that the Dr doing my scan had to lean my leg on her to support it. I'm now having to wait until the 4th of November for gynaecology!! I'm not eating or sleeping properly (it's currently after 1am and I'm sleeping next to my youngest with tears in my eyes). I am feeling like I have thrush so I know this has spread right down. My groin feels swollen too although I don't feel lumps and no masses were found. She did say my ovaries are normal. I've had trace blood in urine too (although was on my period but I'm sure I've been treated for uti before now too when it probably wasn't uti). 

I am terrified this is late stage. I am terrified of leaving my kids. I keep looking at them and worry about them so much. 

I have been in a and e twice through panicking so much and I've been put on propranolol. I'm so incredibly scared and I am struggling to cope with the possibility of late stage due to all my symptoms. Help me please. 

• Hi  and welcome to the womb group.

I can read the fear through your post about your symptoms and I can understand it feels a long wait until your appointment, which is always a difficult time for us when we don’t know what’s wrong. 

I can see you’ve had to deal with a lot during your life, but please try not to assume you have womb cancer by trying to diagnose yourself-you haven’t yet had a doctor say they believe you have womb cancer as far as I can understand? Polyps are usually benign, and adenomyosis could also be a reason for your symptoms that’s not cancer.

It’s likely that you will have an internal examination when you go to the gynaecologist, as lesions have been seen on your cervix, and it will be decided there what needs to happen in terms of any further investigations or scans to see what’s wrong. You will be asked questions about your symptoms and what’s been happening and things will go from there. May I ask if your cervical screening is up to date? 

I’ve often seen people in the community diagnose themselves with advanced cancer because of symptoms they’ve been having, but this is when fear has taken over and they assume the worst. I’m sure other ladies in the group will come along and tell you about their experiences and offer you some support as you wait-my cancer was cervical, not womb, and I hope you’ll find that things as not as bad as you are imagining.

I hope you’ll let us know how you get on at your appointment, but in the meantime you are welcome to phone the Macmillan Support line-the number is in my signature, where you could speak to the nurses or other support staff who will listen and help you with your panic.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi, I'm in a similar position, awaiting diagnosis and experiencing daily panic attacks. Like you, my scans and attempted hysteroscopy were difficult due to uncontrollable shaking. Hopefully, the propranolol will start to take the edge off some of your symptoms. I have been given diazepam as I have a low heart rate that makes Propranolol unsuitable.

I find that my mind runs away with me when I'm panicing. It's helpful to try and slow it down. I have various techniques that I use including square breathing, meditation, mindfulness and walking. I create a safe space in my mind and try to empty it of all thoughts just imagining a beautiful, calming environment. At the moment these techniques are less effective than normal but they do still help to take the edge off the panic. I use mantras to challenge my thoughts, reminding myself that they are just thoughts not a reality. I also use diversionary techniques like listening to music, watching netflix or talking with somebody. My concentration is poor and often wanders back to my worries but I just direct it back to watching or listening. I find that this helps me to sleep and gives me a bit of a rest from ruminating.

I also find it helpful to try and take one step at a time. Try not to think about diagnosing yourself, but instead focus on that first appoitment and any questions that you might want to ask. Maybe phone the hospital and ask exactly what will happen at the appoitment and what you can expect. The hospital brought one of my appoitments forward due to the adverse impact of my anxietry, maybe you could also explore that possibility.

I appreciate that none of this is easy, and it doesn't completely eradicate the anxiety but, for me, these things have helped a little. Good luck with your appoitment.