Sickness and domperidone

• 5 replies
  • 63 subscribers

I've been taking domperidone  for sickness after chemotherapy..but doesn't seem to be working.. also lanzaprazole  after 3rd cycle of chemo.had awful tummy cramps and now can't face food at all has anyone else had this 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you're feeling not so good after chemo. Might be worth ringing the chemo nurses, they can advise you more quickly than here.

When I was on chemo I took metoclopramide as anti sickness and lansoprazole for gastro reflux/ heartburn. I had terrible heartburn and took Gaviscon as well. I was told that the chemo attacks fast reproducing cells (the cancer) but the cells of the throat area are fast reproducing as well and the chemo can't differentiate this, even though they may be good cells.

Anyway, I think the chemo nurses will be your best bet. Hope you get sorted.

A x

• Hi Knittynanna

I agree with Sistermoon- give your chemo team a call. 

I had a similar experience on chemo. Domperidone only worked partly for me and it was only when I took it regularly and around 30 mins before eating. There are other anti nausea medications that you can be given and sometimes it can be a mix of them, taken at certain times that can help. I found ondansetron worked better for me. I was also given medication for the cramps. Are you managing to keep drinking regularly? I found taking sips through out the day better than whole cups/glasses. With the nausea I found flat lemonade or sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon juice helped. 

I found I had less nausea first thing so tended to try and eat my main meal- mid morning- I also tried to eat a lighter diet and split my meals into smaller portions. I did have days when I ate very little but they said as long as I was drinking not too worry too much what I ate and when-as long as I was managing something.

I am sorry you are feeling rotten- do give them a call. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane,I've got ondansetron the little bit of paper that dissolves on your tongue yuuk..also lanzaprazole  gaviscon and sertraline (antidepressants)..Claire 

• Hi Ax

Thanks for reply,very interesting  re the throat etc didn't know that..did you take all your meds at the same time or space them out,been wondering  if that's the reason for sore tummy x

• Hi  

I was lucky that I didn't have much nausea so only took meds when I needed to. The worst symptoms for me were constipation, dry mouth and heartburn. I didn't like feeling just generally very unwell but I was very lucky that the chemo worked.

A x