Dilators

• 18 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Does anyone know  how long to the dilators last for and when do they need renewing or replaced any feedback would be welcome

• Hi Coffee19

I was given mine 18 months ago and there is no sign it needs replacing- no damage, discolouration of the plastic etc. 

At my last check my CNS said I should continue to use once a week for the time being so I would probably look to replace it at some point- just personal preference. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for that at least I will have an idea. When it needs replacing

• Not sure if you can get a new set on prescription. I was going to check at my next appointment. 

• Mine are two years old but I’ve preferred to use my silicon vibrator instead as the silicon feels more comfortable. I believe you can buy silicon dilators too. 

• Thanks for that it’s the silicon dilators that I use better than the plastic

• I had my first catch up with my consultant yesterday after my brachytherapy. I asked her about the dilators. I use both the silicon ones and the ones provided by the hospital. She mentioned that there was a divided opinion on whether the silicone dilators are as good for this purpose as the more rigid plastic ones and that if everything feels too easy look to going up a size. I must admit the plastic ones looked scary when I got them which is why I bought the silicon ones that the nurse showed me.  The silicone ones are definitely more comfortable and I start with them before moving onto the plastic ones.

• I have had mine 2 months.

Not loving them but it as to be done.Like you plastic ones can make you sore and not something you look forward to

• Does anyone know how long we're supposed to keep using them post treatment?
  •  The plastic ones hurt me I switch to the silicone ones when I went for my 3 months check up I ask how long do we have to use dilators he told me for life I use them For about 5 minutes every day I might miss about twice because sometimes it sore I also don’t use them if I go away for the weekend more comfortable after a shower hope this helps

• I finished treatment 18 months ago and now only have to use mine once a week. Try different types of lubrication as well. I was told to use every other day to begin with and because all is good, I have been able to reduce to once a week. Hopefully that will be the case for you. From my understanding, I need to use for life.