Chemo Treatment change due to allergic reaction - Paclitaxel to Docetaxel

• 2 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Started my first chemo this week and had an allergic reaction to the Paclitaxel. The treatment was stopped and I was referred back to my Oncologist who has now changed my treatment to Docetaxel. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how did you react to the Docetaxel as I believe they are from the same group - Paclitaxel being plant based and Docetaxel being synthetic based. I am worried that I will have the same allergic reaction with them being in the same group. Any information would be helpful.

• Hi Edgecumbe Girl

I am sorry to hear that you have had an allergic reaction to Paclitaxel. It must have been scary. I hope that you are feeling better from the reaction. 

You are right, docetaxel does come from the same drug group as Paclitaxel-  taxanes.

I was able to have my chemo without any reaction but will pop a link here with some info that may help. 

Docetaxel | Macmillan Cancer Support

Hopefully someone will come along who has had a similar experience and will be able to give some more personal information. In the meantime, if it helps, give the Support Line a call and one of the nurses would be able to talk you through what has happened and give some reassurance about the Docetaxel. 

I am sure you will be very well monitored for your next chemo and I hope it goes much better for you.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks so much for coming back to me. You are always so helpful and supportive. Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it now. Thanks again Jane xx