Booster COVID vaccination and tiredness after finishing chemotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi everyone

I have been invited to have a booster COVID vaccination because I have a weakened immune system, I have recently completed my course of chemotherapy.  I was wondering if anyone else has has one and how they felt afterwards.  I have had all my previous vaccinations prior to cancer diagnosis.

Also, as I said I have recently completed chemotherapy about one month ago, I have noticed that I feel quite tired, I have a good nights sleep, even when I wake up I could sleep on, and I feel tired during the day.  If I do a bit of exercise like a walk and some housework the following day I usually feel even more tired.

I’m just wondering if this was the way it effected others, after their treatment was finished.  I know everybody can have different reactions.

Thanks and I wish you all well

Ange

• Hi Ange

The fatigue lingered for me for some months. I still get the odd day 18 months post treatment. It's about pacing yourself and doing a little bit at a time. My bloods took a few months to recover as well. 

I had my covid jabs regularly but postponed the one I was offered during chemo. I had one around 6 months later and was ok after it.

Maybe check with your CNS about the covid vaccine and when it is the best time to have it. I believe you are having radiotherapy so timing may be important. I know with the covid immunisations, once they identify you as weakened immune system, the letters come automatically.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi

Thanks Jane, I’ll check with CNS before I have it, just Incase it’s too early after chemotherapy.

Ange

• Hi Ange, 

I had a Covid vaccination while having my chemo and I was fine,I did phone the chemotherapy department at the hospital to ask if it was ok and they said it was fine to have it. But everyone is different so I think it would be best to check with your health time first.

• Hi Hawthorn

Thanks for replying.  I start radiotherapy on 9 May, so I checked with the department and they said it was fine to have the vaccination.  I also contacted the chemotherapy department and they also said it was fine to have it, as I finished the chemotherapy about one month ago.  So I’ll be having the vaccination on Tuesday afternoon.

Thank you 

Ange