Bathing

• 4 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi

Just wanted to ask anyone when they had a bath, rather than shower after laproscopic hysterectomy. There is such contradictory information on various forums. A lot of people say wait until you are cleared by doctor to check everything is healed. But i don't have a follow up appointment until July! I am nearly 4 weeks since hysterectomy and have no bleeding or discharge.

• Hi Sorrell

I was told that baths were fine from 6 weeks. I was told until then showers would be fine as long as I did not rub the incisions and only patted them dry.

I had my tummy incisions checked at 5 weeks at my chemo consents appointment. I had no internal exams until a month after radiotherapy had finished. 

Maybe check with your CNS as I agree there is a lot of contradictory advice.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane. I will try to get hold of someone to ask. I suppose because I'm not having any further treatment I won't be seeing anyone to check me over.

• My consultant said to me straight after surgery, that I wouldn't need to come in to be checked, unless I had any issues. If you can't get hold of anyone today perhaps see if your GP practice nurse can advise you. I am sure they would be able to confirm. I remember looking forward to having my first bath both surgery and just having a good soak

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

I was told the same as Jane - 6 weeks.