Stage and grade after hysterectomy

• 35 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Has anyone had the same stage and grade after the hysterectomy as advised by MRi before ? 

im worried it may change  so wondered if sometimes they remain the same 

Ive been advised stage 1a. Grade 1 from MRI 

• Staging is only a prediction until after the operation. They seem to be more accurate these days due to more refined scans etc, but ultimately the surgeon needs to see “inside”. I was grade 3 (Serous carcinoma) which was confirmed by the hysteroscopy but staged at 1a initially as no spread was seen on the scans. It was updated after my womb was removed as the tumour was burrowing through the womb lining, to 1B. 
    If they find it in other parts of the reproductive region it becomes a 2 and a 3 if in lymphs, 4 if spread elsewhere. It’s not that they get it wrong initially, it’s that they find more evidence to confirm the staging or update it. 
    All the best with your surgery 

• My Grade and stage stayed the same after histology, confirmed as Grade 3 Stage 1a. Knowing mine was high grade, it was a difficult period to have to wait 3 or so weeks for the news to come through that the cancer was still early stage, a huge weight off my mind, although with it being high grade, the worry never really leaves you. 

Thinking of you  with best wishes for your good health. X

Madesp 
  • In March 2022 I was also diagnosed with Serous endometrial cancer after a hysteroscopy but was given no staging at that time. I had an abdominal hysterectomy in early May and it was only in June 2022, that I was told it was Stage 3c as it had been found in 4 para-aortic lymph glands. The cancer had moved upwards via the ovaries, rather than into the pelvic area. After treatment I was given the complete all clear in February 2023 and have  had two further check ups since then and remained well. At my last check up in November my consultant told me that although Serous is a Grade 3 cancer, it can be treated but it’s very important to get the initial staging right.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gorleston Girl

Hi Gorleston Girl,

Your story sounds similar to me. Mine was found in 3 para aortic nodes. You have given me hope as I see you have been clear for nearly a year. I am waiting for results of mid treatment CT scan and feel nervous. I was diagnosed in July last year. Abdominal hytsorectomy in September and Chemo started November. My bloods are good (CA125 now 8!) so I am hoping no nasty surprises on scan. I wish you continued good health xxx

• Hi Hop5, 

I read your profile and it was indeed very similar to my story, although I think my diagnosis was a bit more straightforward! I note that your para- aortic glands were not removed but mine were, although the surgeon told me afterwards that one was stuck to a large artery! Maybe that was why your surgical team  decided it was too dangerous. I had six sessions of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel, followed by four sessions of brachytherapy but no external radiotherapy, presumably because there was no cancer found in the lymph glands in the pelvic  area. I am due another routine CT scan at the end of this month. I had a blood test in November and the Consultant said he would bring the scan forward if the blood test was concerning but I have heard nothing so assume all is well. I also wish you well with your continuing treatment xx

• FormerMember

Hi Gorleston Girl,

Thanks so much for your response. I am due to see the Royal London again (my chemo is being done at hosptial near me but is still part of the hospital Trusts)  in April after I finish chemo and I defnitely have a few quesions for them!  I have read of quite a few people having the para aortic lymphs removed so really not sure why mine were deemed too dangeous to remove. I had some lymph nodes removed that were cancerous during the op. I have been not been advised of any further treatment after chemo but that may well be that I didn't ask enough questions. I buried my head in the sand a bit to be honest. I am due my fourth (of six) chemo (carboplatin and paclitaxel) on 11 January.  I will post on here any updates and will look out for yours too xx

• Hi Hop5

My CNS said most likely that Serous cancer is seen mostly recurring in first year. My last CA125  blood test in November 2022, post treatments was 8 also which my consultant deemed excellent. I have been and am well ever since, my last check up was December 2023.

Hope your results are good for you. X

Madesp 
  • Hi Hop5,

Yes it would be good to update each other as we are on a similar path. The last CA125 test I had, prior to the one I had in November 2023, was 11 and I assume it hasn’t changed. I found the chemo made me feel rough for a few days after each treatment but then I started to feel better. I see you are half way through, how are you coping with it? xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Madesp

Hi Mad,

This is my main worry - the timeframe for recurrence. I keep telling myself it's out of my hands so worrying is no good. Thanks for your well wishes xx

• FormerMember

Hi Gorleston Girl,

I'm finding the chemo okay, my chemo is on Thursdays and I tend to feel my worst on Saturday/Sunday, although it's bearable - I was in the pub on Christmas Eve feeling fine lol. Joint pain and body aches are my only side effects really. I hope it stays like that x