Mirena coil and Increased bleeding

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 64 subscribers

Hi I'm 58 and after a couple of months of bleeding after going through menopause 5 years ago I went to docs which referred me to hospital -consultant told my womb lining was 12mm and could be either pre cancerous or cancerous - im awaiting my biopsy result for this in 10 more days or so - she also told me any hysterectomy will be delayed due to covid but had a mirena coil fitted at the time (4 days ago) and the bleeding since is quite strong and have some period type pain - is that common post coil fitted?

• Hi ,

Hope you don't mind a reply from a man but I saw your post top in our unanswered and my wife has some experience with a coil.

If you look at the patient information leaflet here under possible side effects it lists 

Severe pain or fever developing shortly after insertion may mean that you have a severe infection which must be treated immediately. In rare cases very severe infection (sepsis) can occur.

and 

Severe pain and continued bleeding as this might be a sign of damage or tear in the wall of the womb (perforation). Perforation is uncommon, but occurs most often during placement, although it may not be detected until sometime later.

Now these are quite rare but it is important that if you have these you contact your doctor.

It also notes that the coil should be checked 6 weeks after fitting and that when the coil is used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding Mirena usually results in lighter periods after 3 to 6 months of treatment.

Hope some of that helps because the most important thing of all is to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.

Fingers crossed for your biopsy result, we all know how the anxiety around waiting for results and that can only be made worse in our current strange world.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hey there 

Please don't be alarmed by Steve's reply, if you have a look at this post I made Here then you'll probably find that what you're feeling is perfectly normal and to be expected. 

I'm not allowed to use my own words to tell you how to check your coil 6 weeks after fitting apparently, so here's a copy paste from the NHS website. 

"How to tell if it's still in place

An IUD has 2 thin threads that hang down a little way from your womb into the top of your vagina.

The GP or nurse that fits your IUD will teach you how to feel for these threads and check that it's still in place.

Check your IUD is in place a few times in the first month and then after each period, or at regular intervals.

It's very unlikely that your IUD will come out, but if you cannot feel the threads or think it's moved, you may not be protected against pregnancy.

See a GP or nurse straight away and use additional contraception, such as condoms, until your IUD has been checked.

If you have had sex recently, you may need to use emergency contraception.

Your partner should not be able to feel your IUD during sex. If they can, see a GP or nurse for a check-up."

Good luck with the biopsy results! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Thank you - the bleeding has increased a bit since it was fitted but I'm hoping this is just the lining etc - will ring my consultant if it continues 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Just had really good news - biopsy results showed no sign of cancer cells and polyps or fibroids suspected now - have to keep coil in and will be called in later in summer when covid hopefully died down for a hysteroscopy to remove them/it - i am relieved but still wondering if a hysterectomy might be longer term answer to remove any danger - thanks for the good wishes and much love to everyone on here - bev x

• Great to hear such good news, virtual hug from total stranger coming you way (( )) 

All the best 

McLeod

McLeod
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sheffieldgran. Wonderful news!  Hope you're doing a happy dance and opening a nice bottle of wine or whatever your tipple is! 

Love Nannasuki xx

• Hi Sheffieldgran,

Excellent news. If you don't actually NEED a big operation, my advice is don't have one! XXXXXX

• Fantastic news , 

Enjoy a drink in celebration, I bet your so relived and hopefully after they remove the troublesome fibroids and polyps you will feel souch better, over the moon for you  

Community Champion badge_GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

• So pleased that you have had good results. We need some good news at the moment with everything that's going on! I can understand the logic in wanting a hysterectomy but honestly if you don't need it I wouldn't go there because it is major surgery and you have to take things very easy for quite a few weeks. You also get very tired. You look after yourself and enjoy that tipple! God bless love lamb.xx