Uterine mass

• 62 replies
  • 64 subscribers

After progressively heavier and more frequent bleeding (over 1year) I recently had an abdominal & TVUS. I was contacted by the GP on the same day and told my scan was abnormal and referred for a 2 week wait appt. I've attended this morning and been told that I have a mass and they can't tell where it originates from? They took a biopsy and want me to have an MRI scan, apparently this could take 8 weeks! Has anyone had a similar experience? I was led to believe that they don't think it's anything sinister but from what I've read it's often impossible  to accurately diagnose without removing it? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi phoebe at least its encouraging its not thought to be anything sinister. I dont know where you've got your info but diagnosis will be made from the biopsy as to whether its cancer or not. If it is then its the staging that is confirmed after surgery. You dont say your age but endo cancer is more common in post menopausal women and even then its only 1 in 10 that have cancer the other 9 have benign causes eg polyps or benign growths. 

• Hello and a warm welcome phoebe13,

I wanted to welcome you to the community but also welcome you to a very friendly forum, where everyone has been where you are now - the unknown, and probably the most frustrated time. 

They have taken biopsy from you so of course you have this wait,is the 8 week wait for your MRI? Biopsy results do vary but seem on average around 10-14 days to get them, how are they contacting you, by phone? Or appointment letter? If you have the choice better face to face. I realise this is a worrying time. Uterine masses can be all kinds of things as so much have the same or similar symptoms, the good thing is that a biopsy has been done which hopefully will give you a definite answer. Please keep us all updated, with the different stages and treatment we have all had there is a combined knowledge and experience to share. Your not alone the ladies here are fabulous and very supportive. I have my fingers crossed that you get news some, hopefully good but if it turns out to be cancer we are with you every step of the way. Sending you a supportive hug.

Community Champion badge_GBear Xxxx 

What is a Community Champion?    Womb cancer forum  

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.

“let hope be your lighthouse beckoning you though stormy seas" - Jessica de la Davies

• Hello phoebe and welcome, though I sorry you are in a position where you are worried. Great advice from the ladies.The biopsy will show whether you have cancer or not, whilst scans can show other causes or can be used to determine staging if it is cancer. Lots of ladies pass through here and find out that it's not cancer. If that's the case then we'll celebrate with you, if not then we will be here to support you as much as you need us to. Things sound positive so far, so hold on to that and try not to second guess anything. Waiting can be so hard but hopefully you'll get your MRI date through quicker than they anticipate. Take care and please let us know how you get on x. 

• Thanks for the reply. I'm 48. I've got a number of fibroids that have been there some years and don't appear to have changed but the 'mass' is relatively new (at least it wasn't there on a previous scan) and is much bigger than the others. I think the 8 weeks wait is probably for the MRI scan. I've read a few articles which state that some types of womb cancer (sarcoma?)can be difficult to detect even when a biopsy is performed. I probably need to stop reading!! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Katsil,

My biopsy showed grade 2 cells but when they examined my tissues after the hysterectomy they found grade 3 cells. I often wonder if there can be grade 2 and 3 cells throughout the womb. Either that, or in the time between the biopsy and the operation the cells had changed. 

Alison xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Phoebe, 

They are probably giving you the latest the MRI scan would be, it could easily turn out to be sooner. Did they tell you when the biopsy result will be? As Gbear says, they are usually quicker than waiting for a scan. You could phone your consultants secretary and ask when, roughly, they would have the results and how will you be told, will it be by phone or letter. Hopefully the results are fine. 

Lots of love,

Alison xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Same happened to me alison biopsy showed grade 1/2 but after hysterectomy they confirmed 2. I suppose they have more tissue to work on after surgery.

• Hi Alison, They told me that the biopsy results could take 4 weeks (they said something about it being a very thorough procedure). I think they are going to write to me with the results. Fingers crossed it's just another fibroid! 

• Hi phoebe,

You have great advice already, I just wanted to add that you can phone and ask to be put down for any cancellations for your MRI scan, I got a cancellation for mine and also for my ultrasound and consultant appointment, it always amazes me the number of people who cancel.
    Good luck for your results.
    Xx
  • Hello phoebe13

I understand your feelings. Its very difficult waiting for results. As others have said the biopsy should give you the answer.  Also yes you should stop reading, it gives you nightmares. There are different reasons for masses and they can be no problem at all most of the time. 

Also there are different types of cancers you need to find out what the mass is.

For my story I was one of the unfortunate statistical few. I was one of the one in a million with uterine leiomyosarcoma diagnosed in 2008 at age 49 but  I am still here in 2018 so there is life after diagnosis!!!

I hope the biopsy has the best answer for you but if it is uterine leiomyosarcoma please keep in touch, I feel my story could possibly help.