Re-occurring uterine polyps and thickened womb lining

• 7 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi, I’m post menopausal (6 years) and taking HRT. I have had heavy bleeding, lost 8lb in weight, cramping, nausea and bloating for nearly 3 weeks.

I’ve just had a Hysteroscopy and been told that I have a cluster of polyps, thickened womb lining of 13mm and a heterogenous (uneven) uterus. I’ve already had a couple of polyps removed twice during a hysteroscopy, the last being 5 months ago. This time I wasn’t given the option of having them removed during the procedure and couldn’t have the Mirena coil inserted as discussed. 

I’ve been offered a trans cervical resection under the 2 week rule to remove them and some of the lining or to have a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. I’m so scared that I gave endometrial cancer and don’t know which option to take. The hospital is going to call me on Monday for my decision. 

Any advise would be appreciated - many thanks x

• Hi Flo,

I understand your worries. It sounds like several options have already been tried but didn't work for you. The doctors are giving it now a last chance when offering another removal of the polyps/ lining. It is your decision of course, but a complete hysterectomy would solve it once and for all. 

I am 7 years post menopause and had a full hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. The organs removed were no longer of any use, so I happily parted Slight smile

Tonight go to bed, asking your guardian angel for help. You will get a hint, a sign, or a thought forming around the subject. Go with your heart. 

About me - my story so far 

• Hi Anxious Flo, I don’t know what the transcervical resection involves, but I’m 52 and was on HRT before being diagnosed with type I stage 1a endometrial cancer after a hysteroscopy in May (my story in bio). My womb lining was 14mm and I also had heterogenous areas. The only option offered to me was a laparoscopic hysterectomy which I had in June. I was very anxious beforehand, but it went so much better than I feared. As I see it now I’ve now eliminated the risks of cervical and ovarian cancer in the future too. I haven’t gone back on HRT as my cancer was oestrogen sensitive, but apart from hot flushes (not as bad as they used to be and slowly improving over time - I think!) I’m managing ok. I don’t know if this helps at all, nor anything about your health background, but I tend to agree in principle with Teutonin.
    Good luck with making the decision, you still have a couple of days to mull it over and get a feel for what’s right for you, and don’t let us sway you into anything you’re not fully comfortable with - could a call to the support line perhaps help talk through the relative pros and cons?

• Thank you for your reply. You are right, I don’t need the organs anymore and I’m fed up with the pain etc. Deep down I know my best option is a total hysterectomy but I’m scared and  also concerned about the recovery time and being off work too. Good luck with your recovery. Thanks again. 

• Hi Flo,

Don't think about work.  Your health is number 1 now. There's always help out there. The surgery and recovery is a piece of cake for most. Compare to what you went through so far, it will be a relief  

Stay strong and listen to your heart Heart️ 

About me - my story so far 

• Hi, I’ve just read your bio which has helped a lot. I’m thinking that the hysterectomy would be the better option for me to prevent the polyps reoccurring and any other risks. I truly think they will find something sinister when they carry out the procedure but if you dealt with it so can I. I’m going to try and remain positive. I’m glad to hear that you are recovering well. Thank you so much for your reply. 

• I’ve just read your story so far. You are amazing and an inspiration to others. Thank you so much for sharing as it’s really helped. Thank you Heart

• I guess if it was me, I’d be being pragmatic and thinking that if I had the resection and the histology found anything sinister, I might end up having to have a hysterectomy anyway, so I might as well go for the hysterectomy. But that’s also easy for me to say as I’ve already had one in January 2022. Click on my name if you’d like to read my story. All the best!