MRI scan - heavier bleeding afterwards

• 4 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

I was placed on the suspected uterine cancer pathway 21/2 weeks ago, following a bleed. Biopsy results a week ago confirmed cancer and yesterday I had an MRI scan. I had no symptoms until 3 weeks ago when I had the first bleed, and since then I have experienced intermittent bleeding/ brown discharge and intermittent lower abdominal / back pain. 

During the night I have been bleeding more heavily and I just wondered if this was usual after an MRI scan and anyone else experienced this or just a coincidence and part of the cancer journey. 

Many thanks 

• Hi Kelima

Welcome to the Womb group.

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I have not heard of an MRI affecting bleeding but perhaps give the MRI unit a call and mention it. They would know whether it is something that can be expected or whether it is coincidental.

Alternatively if you give the Support Line a call and speak with one of the nurses they would be able to advise you. The number is below. 

During my diagnosis I was told that any bleeding where I soaked through a pad in an hour or less needed checking so do seek medical advice if it is very heavy.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane, I've called the support line and they've advised getting checked out. Much appreciated, Sue 

• Well done. Always better to call then sit and worry. Let us know how you get on. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Kelima - I posted a few weeks ago that I had increadible stomach and back pain for quite a few hours after my pre op MRI; turned out they had used a weighted cover of some type (I had my eyes closed the whole time!) which pressed very heavily on my stomach. That combined with lying flat caused the pain it seems. It was fine the next morning but was worrying at the time. hope you get reassurance and this passes quickly.