Low neutrophil

• 5 replies
  • 66 subscribers

I was due to have my 5th chemo session tomorrow but have had a call to say my neutrophil was to low. Thus also happened on my 2nd session. It's so frustrating as I can't wait to finish chemo, grow my hair and get my life back. Does anyone else have this problem? 

• Hi Kaf77

It is hard when chemo is delayed but it is important that your body can cope with the next cycle. Sometimes it means delays. Because you have already had several cycles, the effects can build up as the bloods start to build up but don't have time to fully recover- if that makes sense- so it accumulates. 

I was neutropenic during chemo and each time I just about managed to get into the range but I did have days where I was waiting for the bloods to come back with the canula in my hand ready. I also had issues with some of the other blood results and needed transfusion at one point. 

I understand your frustration, I too just wanted to get it over and done with. I wasn't given any advice about how to bring up the levels- they just said to rest up, try and eat and drink regularly and that they would naturally come up with time- and they did.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for your reply and I agree my body must be ready before giving next chemo but I feel so well and only have 3 days of nausea after each session then back to normal so don't understand how blood isn't ready. I must learn to be patient with myself. 

• It is hard isn't it. Some of the time I thought I felt fine but my bloods said a different story. I suppose it takes a while for any effect from the low results to make us feel unwell. 

I hope the bloods improve quickly for you. A couple of times it was a case of 3/4 days and they would come up enough.

Jane

• One time I was told my potassium was very high so I cut out my daily banana. When I told my chemo nurse he laughed and said I would have to be eating 25bananas a day to make any difference! He comparedRofl me with a baboon! He made me laugh which is what I needed. Rofl

• That made me laugh!