Pelvic Pain 8 weeks after robotic hysterectomy

• 3 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi all,

I have grade1A endometrial cancer, and had a robotic hysterectomy in March this year. The treatment and staff have been fantastic and the operation went well. Unluckily I then 2 weeks later had a vaginal sutures infection. Treated with inpatient and then outpatient antibiotics. A CT scan showed no breakdown of the scar.

I was really set back with my recovery but am slowly improving again and less tired. I am now 8 weeks post op and my question is about pelvic pain. It is uncomfortable most of the time, and if I do any activity such as standing too long, or too much housework, I get pelvic pain and have to lie down and rest. I have tried very gently increasing my activity and am not pushing it very much but am unsure if this within the range of normal as so many people seem to say they are back to normal at 4 or 6 weeks? My CNS nurse has said be patient, but I am worried that maybe I have adhesions? Have any of you had similar experiences and will it get better! 

*Update 9 weeks post op* For those reading this who have had pelvic pain lingering post hysterectomy too, this week is already much less painful so I am hopeful that I just wasn't being patient enough and just had to give it time! 

Thanks,

Suzie

• Hi Suzie, what sort of housework are you doing? Are you still being careful about what you lift? Are you doing gentle pelvic floor exercises? I’d personally say that 8 weeks is still quite early on in terms of some activities. 

• Thanks for replying.:)

I am only doing low level housework although I did vacuum a small room the other day, which felt fine at the time but realised afterwards it wasn't! I am doing gentle pelvic floor exercises and am very careful about what I lift.

I think perhaps my perception about what I should be doing at 8 weeks is a bit off and I need to pull back a bit. The trouble is all the advice even from good sources is often varied or vague and pacing is hard!!

I'm going to be a little kinder on myself and try and be more patient! It doesn't help that I am in surgical menopause and that is playing havoc with my anxiety levels so I have asked for help with that from the hospital counselling team too.

thanks again,

Suzie

• Hi Suzie, I’m someone who went for a 5 minute walk as soon as I’d got home from hospital (day after surgery), was walking 5-10 mins twice a day for the first 2-3 days, and had built up to 2 x 20 mins a day by 2 weeks post op. I was walking with my dog after 3-4 days, going shopping, going out to lunch etc - BUT I took it easy in terms of lifting, twisting and excessively bending down and up. I was also driving far sooner than most women post op. I remembered it all from when I’d had a C section 35 years ago. So I’m not saying do nothing, but just be careful and listen to your body,