Total hysterectomy and BSO booked but still confused by symptoms

• 3 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hi all, 

So had a good long chat with the consultant on 25th April following the hysteroscopy on 6th April for post menopausal bleeding with cramping and pelvic pain. He said benign changes and scarring which he has no explanation for, only 1 cervical polyp and no signs of any cancer etc.  He went through some options for the ongoing pelvic pain/cramping etc, do nothing, versus continuing analgesia, versus a gastroenterology opinion, versus having a bilateral salpingo oophorectomy which he suggested would not have much benefit, as well as a total laparoscopic hysterectomy +/-bilateral salpingo oophorectomy. Further changes to my HRT could also be considered to see whether symptoms get better.

We asked him which he would recommend, he said total laparoscopic hysterectomy + bilateral salpingo oophorectomy which will be keyhole and not robotic. Everything will then get sent off to the lab to double check for anything sinister. 

So this is now booked in for 22nd May. 

Today have had more spotting and there appears to be little bits of something that has been expelled in my wee, TMI I know. They sunk to the bottom of the toilet bowl. Just stringy bits of who knows what. Stomach cramping continues as does the pelvic pain and lower back ache.

So clearly it was not the polyp causing this. No cancer found in the polyp or biopsies. Consultant confident that the hysterectomy will solve the symptoms but I cannot help but be worried that there may be something sinister hidden away which will be found once they send everything off to the lab.

I have tried to find any research papers of negative hysteroscopy results for cancer turning into positive hysterectomy results for cancer if you know what I mean but cannot find anything.

It’s so frustrating. Something has to be causing these ongoing symptoms but if my consultant oncology gynaecologist does not know then who will?

Just wondered if anyone was in a similar position prior to their diagnosis?

• Hi catsandtrees

I am sorry to hear that you are still having symptoms and not getting clear answers. 

Just a thought but have you been checked for a UTI- because of what you saw in your urine? I had similar a couple of weeks before my diagnosis and its hard to know sometimes what is coming from where. Might be worth asking GP as it might be something to rule out perhaps.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane, I saw something again this evening so I decided to fish it out. I know, gross. It appeared to be tissue like toilet tissue so now i’m wondering if it was just some tissue that got caught up around ones bits whilst wiping lol. 

So I think I have solved that but will keep an eye out and will just use moist toilet wipes for a few days to make sure incase I see more of the same. 

• Could be- hopefully it's solved that worry

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm