Menstrual Cycle

• 3 replies
  • 62 subscribers

was diagnosed with endometrioid ovarian adenocarcinoma and had a 15cm tumour removed in February.

I was diagnosed in November - I hadn’t had a proper period then, or a period at all in December. It returned to normal in January but had a very light one in Feb, last month and now this month.

The surgeon says all the tumour was removed - and it was just the tumour and one ovary (it wasn’t identified so they presume the tumour must have engulfed it). CA125 is back to a normal level.

The cancer is currently unstaged as the oncologist wants to take me back to theatre to check for any signs of spread (the surgeon says there were no visible signs in Feb) and take biopsies and tissue samples etc if necessary.

Just wondering if there is a connection between the periods and the cancer?

My CNS says it’s probably stress related and she may be right although the first light period was in November before I knew there was anything wrong…

• Hi Glass not full

It would make sense to think that as the ovaries secrete oestrogen and progesterone, that any surgery to the ovaries or any cancer would possibly have an effect on periods.

I know that with endometrial cancer the hormones play a part. Mine was oestrogen/progesterone positive. 

But I would agree with the CNS advice that it is probably stress related. You have had a diagnosis of cancer and surgery and you still don't have all the answers that you need- so stress related would make sense. 

I would maybe ask whether because one ovary was removed, the remaining one has to take over the hormones so it may take a while to settle causing lighter periods? 

I hope you get some answers soon and the staging confirmed.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Jane,

Yes my ovarian tumour was also ER/PR positive too.

Indeed - I suppose it’s just strange that the issues started before the cancer diagnosis but it is perhaps linked to only having one ovary now. 

• I think it can be difficult to know when the cancer actually started and as it was ER/PR positive then it would make sense that your periods may have been affected before you actually had the diagnosis. So the first signs something was amiss perhaps. I see you have posted in Ask a Nurse so hopefully they can give you some answers.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm