Reduced immunity after radiotherapy.

• 3 replies
  • 63 subscribers

I have received an NHS message inviting me for a Covid booster due to risk from "a health condition or medical treatment."

I had 27 sessions of pelvic radiotherapy which ended in March. I know chemotherapy can cause vulnerabilities (I didn't have that). 

Does radiotherapy compromise your immune system? I'm thinking yes because all my lymph nodes were zapped during radiotherapy. 

• Hi KT89, it’s more usually chemo that can affect the immune system, but radiotherapy can do too.  I was feeling a bit tired still 6 months after my radio, and my oncologist requested a full blood count blood test to check my thyroid - but it actually showed that my white cell count was slightly below normal and that was likely down to the radio. I had repeat blood tests every 4-6 weeks after that and it very slowly crept up to normal again over 3-4 months. 

• Hi KT89

Cancer and cancer treatment can lead to reduced immunity for a time. The radiotherapy also continues to be working for some time after your last session. So the healthy cells that have been damaged can take a while to recover. 

The treatments can cause a drop in the white blood cells in the bone marrow so the lymphatic system is affected. 

Radiotherapy can also cause haemoglobin levels to drop. Mine did and needed transfusion. Severe radiotherapy side effects can also mean that you are not getting or absorbing all the nutrients you need so this can also mean you are more vulnerable to pick things up. 

This is how it was explained to me. 

Hope it helps

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm