Hysteroscopy, had to stop, feel like a failure

• 18 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi, I'm 65. I had a transvaginal scan 2 weeks ago which showed a suspicious area of thickened endometrium 9mm x 13mm x 13mm and fluid filled areas. Referred with 'suspected endometrial cancer' under 2 week process.

Went for a Hysteroscopy today and it was so painful that she couldn't do the biopsies. Doctor said my cervix was 'atrophied' ?! which could explain the pain. She did manage to do the imaging and said she could see quite a large polyp but she couldn't do a biopsy. I now have to wait 4-6 weeks to have the polyp removed and sent off and for endometrial biopsies, with a general anaesthetic. I feel such a failure and a wuss. And I now have to wait again with possible cancer. I'm so cross with myself but the cramping pain really was intolerable. I was shaking afterwards and felt so nauseous. I even shed some tears. I know nobody can do anything but I just needed to tell people who may understand. 

• Hi misscrisps, I can totally understand your feelings of disappointment. My experience was similar - except that it was the consultanf who halted the hysteroscopy after the third failed attempt to get the camera through, and said he wasn’t willing to continue, as he said that to proceed could send me into shock and cause me to faint or even damage me internally. I had my pre-assessment 3 weeks later, and my hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic 2 weeks after that, and it was calm, relaxed and a doddle. It also gave me experience of the place where I’d later have my hysterectomy. Try not to beat yourself up any further as actually the failure rate for hysteroscopies for post menopausal women is actually quite high. It will all be fine and will happen soon enough. 

• Please don’t beat yourself up - I had exactly the same experience. I’m 61 and had not had HRT (which turns out to have been a good thing). I had bleeding so was referred for a scan and hysteroscopy. The scan showed a mass. But they tried to do the biopsy in clinic bbut had to stop because I had vaginal atrophy. It was incredinly painful but I was trying to brave and I I kept saying “keep trying, let’s get it done” but they showed me the image of the inside of my vagina and it looked like a red hot open wound and they said that I just would not be able to tolerate it without a general. So I had to wait another 3 weeks for the procedure which confirmed cancer and I had a total hysterectomy etc about a month after that (Jan 2024). I’m currently having chemo (they think they got it all but it’s a belt and braces approach). It’s a really scary time, although still feels pretty surreal/ like it’s happening to someone else. Hopefully, you’ll find it’s just a polyp, but if  it turns out to be cancer, you are in good hands and you’ll get through it. And I’ve seen the absolute best in people as my friends and family have stepped up and been so supportive. It’s made me really appreciate what I have. Good luck xx 

• Coco5, that all sounds very similar, with the mass showing on the vaginal scan and the failure to get the biopsies via hysteroscopy due to pain. Like you I tried to continue but just couldn't tolerate it, and when my legs started shaking in their supports, they stopped it. What a nightmare for both of us (and so many others). I'm so glad you have had your hysterectomy now and you sound well on the way to recovery. I wish you all the very best for your future and hope my own story will be similar. Thank you for sharing. Xx

• I had two hysteroscopies and quite frankly I found the whole thing a nightmare twice!

they were both excruciatingly painful and I had no pain relief at all on the first one. Diabolical that they say mild discomfort with this procedure! The second time they gave me gas and air which made me feel dizzy and out of it but I could still feel the pain.

i think it’s terrible to ask women to go through this with out being made aware of how painful it is.

well done for getting through it and you are by no means the only one…  far from it I think generally most of us suffer quite badly during this procedure. Sending lots of positive thoughts to you Blush

• Hi Misscrisps,

You are not a wuss, your pain levels are what they are due to the bodies we have, and yours indicated that there is a reason that you need it done again but under general anaesthetic.

I had a hysteroscopy three weeks ago under local and it was not the most pleasant of procedures, I was recalled on Tuesday to say that abnormal cells were found but as my sample was scanty i.e not enough then I needed to have it repeated but this time under general. Not sure if as I had breast cancer last year I got to be elevated up the list as was told on Tuesday am at the consultation that it would be in the next 2-3 weeks, but a few hours later was called to say they could do the procedure on Wednesday, a bit shocked said yes. So I had the hysteroscopy done yesterday under general and I am in no pain, I think when you have your vagina prodded then this makes you tense anyway, you are stressed due to the procedure and having had the general this was far better.

I hope that you get seen quickly and the waiting time is not too anxious I now have to wait for my second biopsy results which could take 2-3 weeks and I know that when going through breast cancer biopsies last year the waiting is the thing that adds to one's anxiety.

Not related to hysteroscopy, but related to wuss factor, last year when I was going to have a repeat breast biopsy as they need to determine the extent of the abnormal cells. After the 1st consultation giving me the news abnormal cells detected but need to know more so need to do a more thorough biopsy I'd been told to arrive at the hospital at 8:30 the next day. SO having had a bad nights sleep arriving on time, I sat  in the waiting area for over 45 minutes getting anxious, over hearing the radiologist and consultant discussing the difficulty of the next one i.e me. My anxiety level went up, so when eventually breast out, clamped in the mammogram I say to the radiographer I feel faint, well I came around to several doctors around me, I'd crashed out, they'd had to quickly release my breast from the mammogram, in the process I'd also wet myself, so hubby had to come and collect me and bring a change of underwear and trousers. So you are not a failure it is your body/mind trying to protect and the medical staff have seen it all before and probably worse.

• Oh I'm so sorry you went through such an awful time with your mammogram, so traumatic when you're already stressed. 

Thank you for your thoughts on the hysteroscopy, I was just shocked at the pain level, I wasn't expecting it. When my legs started to shake in the holders she had to stop. I felt really traumatised. Anyway I have an appointment for the biopsies and polyp removal on 13th so not too long to wait. Although as you say, it'll be the waiting for results which will be difficult. I sincerely hope yours will be good news. All the very best. 

• I think because I had been on HRT for a few years, my hysteroscopy was fairly straightforward because of all that oestrogen no doubt.

But on the same day, I was told to stop my HRT immediately. So I think my tumour was oestrogen dependant. 

I wonder now if the choices I made re HRT contributed to all this - but there's no going back. It is what it is.

Hysteroscopy is a very invasive procedure in our most private area. It is not easy to contemplate it.

We are not wusses, we are warriors.

Kxx

• "we are not wusses, we are warriors"...Love that, I think we need t shirts Grin