External radiotherapy

• 11 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hi

I have found out recently that I am to have external radiotherapy, 25 times over 5 weeks.  I spoke to the radio therapist who said I wouldn’t be able to drive myself and would need lifts, she said I would be too tired and fatigued to drive.  

i was wondering if anyone who has had radiotherapy drove to their appointments, also she said I need to have a CT scan and an MRI scan, I have had an MRI scan before but do not like them as I am slightly closthphobic (not sure how to spell this)!  Did anyone have to have both or just a CT scan?

How did it make you feel during the radiotherapy, we’re you able to do most things?

Thanks

Ange

• Hi I start my external radiotherapy on Tuesday. My oncologist said I’d be fine to drive - my journey is only about 20 minutes each way though. I had a CT scan only as part of the planning. Understand that the fatigue builds as the weeks go on but I’m sure others will comment. Bit nervous but keen to get going!!!

• Hi Ange19

I was like you in that I also had chemo before the radiotherapy and I believe it did affect how I coped with it. For me I found the radiotherapy more challenging as with the chemo it tended to be go to the hospital day 1, then a few rough days and then start to recover. I found the daily journeys and hospital appointments more difficult because there wasn't that break.

Once started it did go quicker than I thought. You'll soon get into a routine though.

I had lifts to every session and it helped me to have someone to talk with and also I was still having chemo effects like weakness, blood issues and generally not yet recovered. Fatigue was a challenge amongst other things.

I had a CT scan to plan the treatment. Most people seem to have one with contrast but I couldn't as had an allergic reaction during my diagnostic one. I was not offered an MRI but it may just be different hospitals or it may be due to stage and grade - not sure. 

With the MRI it may be possible that if it is just your pelvis though to go in feet first and keep your head out- I would check as I know for me- it would take a lot of the anxiety away.

During radiotherapy I did have some symptoms but was offered plenty of medication, dietary advice and general support. 

My symptoms began around day3 and it was mainly tummy related. Diarrhoea and also some nausea. This built up as the sessions went on. You should be given advice re diet before you start and for me it involved avoiding a lot of the healthier foods that I like fruit, veg etc and eating more bland, white foods -toast, crumpets, rice. I had to avoid a lot of dairy and also fibre.

Diarrhoea was an issue for me and in the end we got it under control with 4 different meds that meant I could complete the treatment. As I said I was still having effects from the chemo and needed a blood transfusion during the radiotherapy treatment. Every one is different and some people seem to have very little side effects whereas for others it can be more. 

If you ask at your hospital they can give you a Can't wait toilet card which can help, if you get urgency and need a loo quickly. 

I think the thing to remember is that the radiotherapists will see you everyday and you will get weekly checks as well and its worth speaking up about any side effects because they have lots of options that can help. I remember one radiotherapist saying that if you do get diarrhoea speak up as soon as it happens as it can be easier to get under control at the earlier stages.

I didn't have many skin effects but you will be given a barrier cream that can help. 

I did have some bladder irritation but that can be helped by drinking plenty. 

They will talk you through everything at your planning scan and I am sure you will be well looked after. For me, it's a bit like when you start chemo and they go through all the side effects- it can be scary- but if you were like me- you didn't actually get many of them and with support they were doable. Same with radiotherapy- some people do get side effects but everyone is different. 

But tiredness is a factor and it did build up, but partly due to just being out of the house for 3-4 hours everyday. The treatment itself takes a few minutes only but the travelling, the prep time make things take longer. I think mentally as well to go through the surgery and then cope with chemo by the end of that I was ready to stop and have a break. But radiotherapy followed straight after. My hospital had a radiotherapy app for my phone and it helped to count down the sessions. 

I wish you well for your treatment and hope that any side effects are mild for you. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  everyone is different but back in 22 I had 5 weeks of 5 days external radiotherapy with the addition of chemotherapy on one of the days - I.e. chemoradiation and I drove myself to and from all my appointments although I was only 15 minutes away. I did get tired but not too tired to drive plus as the radiotherapy progressed I did suffer the radio runs !  but the  unit prescribed Loperamide (Imodium) which controlled it. I had a planning CT scan before starting treatment at which they tattoed 3 small dots one on front of each thigh and one on my pubis so the radiologist could target precisely. It wasn’t too bad, the hardest part was ensuring the bladder was full to just the exact percentage, for which I had to drink two large flasks of water approx 30 mins before  my allotted time. I used to ring the unit to find out if they were running on time then I could gauge the right time to drink my water before leaving home. The actual treatment lasts minutes and staff were brilliant so it wasn’t too onerous and it was good counting down from 25 to 0 !  Good Luck 

chrissiex

• Hi Ange, I had 25 x radio in 2022. I asked my CNS if I’d be able to drive myself, as I live an hour away, and she said I’d probably be fine for the first two weeks at least, as side effects tend to start for most people during week 2-3. But that it would be good to have a plan B in case I felt tired on the day, I asked if it could ever happen that I’d drive to my appointment then be too tired to drive home, and she said no, I’d know before I left home. I had asked my oncologist if I could request mid afternoon appointments and she said that wherever possible they’d accommodate that. I started watching what I ate a few days before treatment started Week 1 came and went, no problem. Weeks 2 came and went, no problem. No tiredness during the day, but went to bed a bit earlier than usual each evening. Week 3 came and went, no problem, Halfway through week 4 I started getting some bloating and an occasional feeling of urgency, but no diarrhoea and no tiredness, I drove myself to every appointment of the 25. I had 2 x brachy too and my husband took me to those, but only because I knew the wait would be far less as they tended to run on time. I only had a planning CT before treatment started. I had had a staging MRI before my hysterectomy but found it fine as I wore a fabric eye mask and couldn’t look at the tube (which is open at the end btw - not closed in)

• Hi

my journey would be about 20 minutes too, I might drive in the first week and then see how I feel later on.  Thanks for your reply and good luck with the rest of your treatment.  Let me know how you get on.

Ange

• Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply.  I found it very helpful and gives me a good idea of what could happen.

I hope you are well.

Ange

• Hi Chrissie

Thank you for your reply.  It was very helpful and gives me a good idea what to expect.  I may drive as my journey is only about 20 minutes.

Thanks again and I hope you are well

Ange

• I am very well and feeling fit - Thankyou 

• Hi

Thanks for your reply.  It was very helpful.  I may drive as my journey is about 20 minutes and I’ll see how I am later on.  I never thought of using a mask for the MRI scan, I may try it or I’ll try and be brave.

Thanks again and I hope you are well

Ange

• Hi Ange19

I finished my 25 radiotherapy sessions yesterday and it wasn’t too bad at all. I did find that the tiredness kicked in by the end of week 2 so I tended to have a little nap when I got home. Also try having a little snack right after treatment, I always had a banana in my bag. The only other issues I had were mostly bowel/bladder urgency and occasional diarrhoea but my consultant had given me a prescription for some loperamide which was useful!

Hope that your treatment goes well.