EVENTUALLY A DATE

• 14 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Yesterday 25th March 2024 was a long day at 10:30am had my first telephone consultation with the cancer psychologist which was quite hard at times especially when speaking about personal thoughts and how the word CANCER has affected not only my life but Allistair's life too.

My appointment for the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh was at 15:10pm then oncologist dietician at 15:30pm Doctor May today at 15:10 pm went well I have lost over 12kg in 6 weeks one Stone twelve Pounds but since meeting him I have lost two stone nine pounds personally I think Doctor May didn't expect the amount of weight I lost as my last appointment Doctor May said between 7 to 8lbs of weight would be good FOR 6 WEEKS TIME

Due to hard work and loads of support from Allistair, Doctor May
HAS BOOKED MY OPERATION FOR THE END OF APRIL 2024 SmileSmileSmileSmileySmileySmiley but I have to still keep going with the weight loss he would like another 7lbs, before my Radical Hysterectomy we went over the medical aspects as I am still at risk and he needs to speak with the Anesthetist the women Allistair and I spoke with nearly a year ago as she might still want a central line in to monitor my breathing and blood pressure better as well as wanting me to go to ICU Doctor May also meantioned the fact that I will be in hospital a few days more instead of the usual next day discharge I would be in hospital for 3 to 4 days.

The operation consists of five portals at the top of my tummy next to each Dr May will insert the camera first once I am tipped if he finds out he can get to the parts then he will continue with the operation which is to pull my womb and cervix out through my Virginia but if for whatever reason he is unable to pull my womb and cervix through my Virginia he will cut a larger incision next to the five portals and manage the procedure that way once that has been completed Dr May will remove my ovaries and tubes and flush all abdominal areas in the aid of sloshing cancer cells that might hide themselves as well as checking my lymph nodes, if for some reason he is unable to complete the operation he has suggested that I would hopefully loss some more weight and try again to complete the whole hysterectomy Doctor May also answered my other questions on Options and Solutions which were BRACHYTHERAPY ( internal radiotherapy) Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy as well as Hormone Therapy but Mr May said he has never had to stop surgery before !!!!Theres always a first WinkWinkWink but Mr May knows my only option is getting ALL away main one is getting EVERY PART OF MY ALL TAKEN AWAY.

So my main aim towards the end of April is TO KEEP GOING WITH MY DIET AND TRY HARD TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT BUT ALSO STARTING SOME VITAMINS AND TRY TO BE A FIT AS I CAN FOR THE MAJORE PROCEDURE THAT APPARENTLY CAN TAKE BETWEEN 3 TO 4 HOURS.

• Good morning Wilma,

I am pleased you have a date for surgery to work towards and you have achieved a fantastic weight loss already! You must be really proud of yourself because it isn't easy - and Alistair has been such a support too. It's times like these we need our loved ones around us.

Sounds like Dr May has a clear plan for your care and answered lots of your questions. Any more questions that arise - keep writing them down. We need that reassurance and it helps to be as prepared as possible.

I had a total hysterectomy last September and I recovered well. Mine took just over three hours apparently. I think Spring is a nice season to have surgery because the days are brighter, warmer and everything seems so much more positive.

I wish you all the very best as you continue to prepare and I'll be thinking of you.

Kxx

• Hi  

That's great news that you have a date for surgery. Very well done on the weight loss, that's fantastic. Best wishes for your surgery.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Brilliant news Wilma.

You should be really proud of yourself losing all that weight! It must be such a relief having a plan for surgery. My hysterectomy took about three or four hours. They tried to do keyhole surgery with me but I ended up having an abdominal incision instead. I was in ICU for 3 days and home on day 6. Keep going with the weight loss you’re doing so well.

Linda xx

• I’m so pleased that they are finally doing something for you Wilma. I know it’s been a long, hard road.x

• Hi WIlma

Am so pleased that you have a date for your surgery and that Dr May has been supportive. You have done amazingly well with the weight loss- what an achievement. I wish you the very best for your surgery and if you need anything in the meantime, you know where we are.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

•    - well done on your weight loss. That is a big achievement. And congratulations on your operation date. I hope the next few weeks pass swiftly and positively for you.

• Hi it's Crumpet this time fed up with bloody toast lol 

It's been a long time coming I just have to keep on the wagon incase they phone me early or something plus my in-laws are coming Friday and my brother in-laws wife Janice is gluten free so I usually make meringues for them but I might just not take one I will see, Allistair's brother Peter was given the all clear regarding his throat cancer and that's a big YIP YIPPEE no more check ups know he can move to spain.

How are you doing !!!!! I hope all is well with you my psychologist thinks I am lost at the moment and have given up due to all the stress I have been under and she is going to give me coping mechanisms (good luck with that) 

As I said I hope all is well with you and yours x

• Hi KT 89 Thank you for your lovely wishes regarding my surgery date it's been a very long and stressful time coming for my husband and myself but he's been great so unfortunately I can't complain (dam it )

Did you need follow up plus what was your biopsy results once everything was taken 

• It's been a long time coming nearly two years of stress and upset and at times not wanting to come out of bed 

• Thanks Jane 2511 going to try some sleep my mind is still a pain at nighttime