Impact of hysterectomy for pre menopausal ladies, questions, concerns, success stories etc

• 15 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi all, 

A few of us have noticed a real gap in information regarding endometrial cancer, hyperplasia etc in ladies who were pre menopausal before diagnosis and surgery. I thought it would be worth starting this thread so that there is a place for this discussion to help us all feel a little less isolated. 

I had my surgery October 2023 at the age of 49 after years of having my excessive bleeding blamed on perimenopause; eventually it became so unbearable that the GP did a blood test that ruled out menopause but showed elevated CA125, a transvaginal scan found a large polyp in the June, the hysteroscopy removed this in the September and this revealed grade 3 cancer in the endometrium and pre cancerous cells in the polyp (final stage was 1b, grade 3). 

My medical induced menopause has given me hot flushes, some random forgetfulness regarding words mid sentence and some weight gain, however, I have found it manageable. 

Please feel free to add to this thread Blush

• Now 50, I was also told my symptoms were IBS/Menopause. Pain, heavy & prolonged bleeding, clots, bloating, etc for around 5+ years. Scans at various points mentioned, ovarian cysts, fibroids, adenomyosis, polyps. I was always assured nothing sinister going on & just mustered on. Bleeding & pain just got to much that I sobbed to my GP & practically begged him to refer me for a hysterectomy. Everything moved slowly at 1st, initial consultation was April last year. More scans etc, lots of waiting. Finally had biopsy and polyps removed & 2 weeks later, everything suddenly became more urgent. 

Diagnosed with Endometrial Hyperplasia atypia a couple of weeks ago, have a full hysterectomy with BSO next week. To be honest, I'm not really worried about the Menopause symptoms, will just be grateful to be hopefully pain free & wear light colours again. Bleeding through tampons & pads on a regular basis while being in agony, has dominated my life. Hot flushes will be a welcome substitute! Ha.

I understand that diagnosis can change after the pathology results but decided to cross that bridge if necessary & just concentrate on recovery from the surgery. I see this as an opportunity to be a new better version of myself & intend to embrace it. 

• I absolutely agree regarding hot flushes, they are far more manageable than the constant flooding and fear of being without a change of clothes etc. I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

• Hi  

Excellent idea for a thread!

I'm not premenopausal...but when diagnosed with endometrial cancer last Summer at the age of 60, I was told to stop my HRT immediately. I had had 6 years of HRT to help with menopause symptoms, then suddenly it was all stopped and I went back into menopausal symptoms so quickly. That was a big shock as well as my cancer news. Obviously the advice to stop HRT was because there must have been some hormone issue with my cancer. 

So back to the hot flushes, poor sleep, forgetfulness and it was a hormonal shock to my body. Then dealing with total hysterectomy and the recovery. 

We are all warriors the way we deal with all of this. 

• Great to have that input too, I would imagine that could be an issue for lots of ladies too.  I hadn't thought about the impact of being on HRT and then needing to stop, talk about double menopause. I hope this thread doesn't feel like it excludes anyone, as my intention is certainly the opposite. 

• No it certainly doesn't, in fact the opposite. You have raised an important subject that does not get enough discussion. However we get thrust suddenly into - or back into - menopause deserves sharing of ideas.

• Great idea to start a threat! I am 43 and have recently had my hysterectomy (amost 6 weeks ago now) I was diagnosed with stage 1a grade 3 endometrial cancer in Dec and had the op 1st Feb. I was told prior that I wouldn't be able to have HRT after to help with any menopausal symptoms and wasn't sure what to expect. To be honest I have barely noticed any symptoms. I have maybe had 2 or 3 hot flushes since the op, which I have strangely noticed only happen on days when I have really over done it or am feeling quite stressed (not sure if its actually related or just coincidence). The only change I have noticed is that I feel hotter than usual at night, instead of wrapping up at night I can wear a vest top to bed and feel fine. That's is though its not a sweat or anything unmanageable. Obviously I know everyone is different but for anyone pre-menopausal worrying about the menopause after hysterectomy from my experience its nothing to worry about.

• Hi B74

This is a great idea for a thread. I did have very heavy periods during perimenopause and was given the mini pill. This effectively stopped my periods but at my first appointment with my consultant, he did ask a lot of questions about this. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi I am 42 and was diagnosed with stage 1a gd 1, had hysterectomy last December. I am undergoing 3 sessions of brachytherapy as part of mopping up as had LV SI . Yes induced menopause has given me hot flushes and forgetfulness. I can't have HRT as my mum had breast cancer and my doc has said no HRT. I would like to know if anyone has done brachytherapy and how was there experience in short and long term? 

• Hopefully someone can help you with this, I did not need any adjuvant treatment due to the POLE mutation despite being stage 1b and grade 3 (to be honest, I feel a tad anxious about the risk of recurrence having just had the surgery, but I guess I have to trust the professionals). I know there is a specific thread covering radiotherapy and includes brachytherapy, but I don't know if any of the ladies on there were pre menopausal beforehand. 

• My pole was positive, so i choose to go for brachytherapy. Hopefully should be finishing it soon. I still struggle with insomnia and hot flushes though!