Anyone asked the prognosis question and glad they did?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hi all,

I know we all have different stages and grades in this group and as my CNS keeps telling me, even if someone has the same type and grade as you, outcomes can be very different, but have any of you asked for your prognosis and regretted it or glad you did? Are these prognosises set in stone? Are they always right?

I am 3C2 and not curable. I didn't ask for my prognosis as I was too scared at the time after one bad news meeting after another. However, I now think I need to as I have lots of things to think about - namely, getting on and enjoying any disease free time I have left after I finish chemo - chemo is working well and I have had an excellent response to treatment according to my consultant. I am drawing down on some personal pensions I have that I could access when I turned 55 in August to pay for two big holidays this year but now also considering taking ill health retirement from the NHS. I will be 56 in August. 

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

xx

• Hi Hop5

I think that prognosis can be a tough one. Could you sit down with your CNS and talk about prognosis- not the actual prognosis- but the benefits and draw backs/limitations of knowing perhaps?

You are making plans and it may be helpful to know if they feel that it is a good time to make such plans. With prognosis it can be really hard to predict even for the doctors who know you well. You have had a good response to treatment and that gives some time to enjoy life. I think that is what I would do. If it does become active again, then I would deal with it, if and when it happens. There is so much uncertainty with cancer so I sort of go with the flow a lot of the time. 

For me a conversation would go along the lines of what would happen if it became active again and what treatments would be available. I would talk through your plans about taking early retirement and planning your holidays and see if they think this is a good option. So you would sort of get some info without asking directly. 

It's a really personal decision to make and this link may help.

What is a cancer prognosis? | Macmillan Cancer Support

Hope this helps

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jane2511

Thanks so much for this Jane. Very wise words again. I am going to write these pointers down and ask at my next face to face appointment  - the what happens next meeting. I have seen some people on here have asked for a prognosis and been given a timescale, I am not sure I would handle that very well but I also don't want to just plod along and then it's too late to do things. It is a very difficult one. 

• Hi  

I'm very sorry to read that your cancer is incurable and that your staging is 3C2. I am Stage 4b and incurable. My profile is on if you'd like to read. I have had palliative chemo and my cancer is stable and has been since end of treatment Sept 2022. 

I took ill health retirement from the NHS this time last year. I am now 54. I couldn't have continued to work as I have problems with brain fog, concentration and fatigue. I have also cashed in personal pensions. I needed forms completing by my GP confirming my ill health due to my age.

I asked for a prognosis and it was thereabouts of what I'd anticipated (in my profile). However, everyone and every cancer is different. A prognosis is only a prediction, an educated guess, based on the oncologists experience.

If you would like, you may want to join us in this group  Living with incurable cancer forum - patients only 

Everyone is friendly and supportive, we understand each other even though we have different types of cancer. Best regards.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to sistermoon

Hi SisterMoon,

Thank you so much for your reply. You are so brave to have asked but I get it, I feel I need to too but am nervous. At the moment I'm looking forward to a break from chemo and hoping end of treatment scan is good. Ive read your bio and you've certainly been through it but all sounding really positive. I think I will join that group, thanks so much xx

• Hi Hop5. I hope you are keeping well. I have a similar diagnosis and have been offered radical chemo and brachytherapy. Is this something you are having? I think it will be over a period of 6 - 8 months. Take care x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AnnaS

Hi Anna,

I'm doing very well thank you. I've had complete response from chemo and have no evidence of disease in lymph nodes. Because of this I've now been offered a course of radiotherapy and brachytherapy which I start 2 April. How are you doing? X

• Morning Hop5,

Thank you for your reply. Good news about the chemo working for you Relaxed️ x Seems like the goal post move quite a lot. Just waiting for appointments.

Did they give you a size of lymph nodes and which one affected at the time?

Lots of medical stuff x

• FormerMember

Hi AnnaS,

I had a aortocaval lymph node measuring 15mm x 9mm and left hilar lymph node measuring 12mm x 9mm. I am POLE negative and Mis Match Repair Positive. Hope this helps. Ask me anything x

• Thank you Hop5,

Very helpful x all. I am P53 molecular classification x 

• FormerMember

Mine are now 8x4 and 8x5. I have P53 mutation. It is all very medical and it is only now - nearly 9 months since diagnosis that I am starting to understand it all. There are some very knowledgeable people on here - Jane, Marmite, KT89 and Sister Moon to name a few x