Hair growth after chemo

• 9 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi all hope you are well, I finished my chemo twos months ago yesterday and my hair is coming back nicely.  Hopefully it will all be back in time for our wedding in October.  Here is how it is doing 

• Hello. Looks like it is growing well. I have been taking nourkrin tablets and think it is making a big difference - I did do the cold cap, didn't lose all my hair,  and am about 6 months out of chemo and my hair is mixed lengths but I am just about able to make a ponytail. 

• Hi . I've got a little bit more than you haha! Have you noticed if you've more hair on your face? As well as my eyebrows and lashes (&legs and underarms) I seem to have developed a peach like fuzz on my face - not sure I like it or know how to get rid!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Wow Rach, it's growing back really nicely. You will look beautiful at your wedding.

Hugs Robins

• I am no expert but that looks good already. Like the bunting also in the back ground :) 

• Thanks for the replies everyone, I am really happy and surprised at how well it is going after only two months.   I have noticed the hair on my top lip has come back darker so not very amused with that as not sure how to deal with it lol 

• That’s impressive hair growth after 2 months, Rach. I know what a huge relief it is when you see your hair starting to grow again.

My hair is similar in colour too. It seems light around the sides with a darker colour over the top! Bit different from my ash blonde/grey colour I had previously…… but I’ll take anything at this stage!!

You’ll be rocking your new hairdo by the time October arrives, you’ll look beautiful on your wedding day.

Liz x

• Hi Barb,

I’m in the same boat! I’m not sure whether I’m turning into a werewolf or the bearded lady from The Greatest Showman lol. The peachy down is new to me too. Plus, I seem to have the fuzz growing down the side of my neck (just down from my ear lobes). I’ve never known anything like it. Thank goodness the hair is fair and can only be seen when the sunlight catches it. 

I’ve had a look around some other forums (mainly the breast cancer ones) and it’s seems to be a temporary thing. Normally takes about 12 weeks to disappear. Fingers crossed!

In conjunction with this, I’m now losing my eyebrows and eyelashes again!! I’m assuming that the first re-growth was too brittle. Fingers crossed my lashes and brows are stronger when they grow back again. Luckily my head hair is coming back really thick (think I made the right decision for me when I had my first initial re-growth shaved off again if my lashes and brows are anything to go by).

I’ve got a face to face appointment with my oncologist tomorrow. It’s going to be “never mind about my scan results, what’s going on with all this facial hair???!!!”. I’ll let you know if he has any words of wisdom.

Liz x

• Hi Liz, I can cope with 12 weeks! It's funny I'd noticed my eyebrows and lashes had a stop/start so hopefully they'll thicken up a bit! My wig lady said to shave off my hair as the first growth would be too brittle. Called my chemo team to ask, they said not to. In my case I'll be losing it all over again by the New Year so decided to go with what I've got! 

Let us know what words of wisdom you get from your Oncologist! I did laugh at your werewolf of London! Mine's also going down my neck! My new head hair is darker than my old colour except for the contrasting white bits (Look like a badger!) Thank goodness this fuzz is blonde! Going out with friends for lunch tomorrow so I'll make sure not to have the sun behind me.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi All,

When my daughter had chemo for breast cancer her hair grew back really curly. It was lovely. However it didn't last long, and then she was back to straight hair.  xx