Immunotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Started on clinical trial at Royal Marsden Hospital 3 years ago today all still going well. Excellent results considering I was diagnosed with 1 year to live in 2018 - excellent treatment and service

• Hello Monetta

Thank you for sharing this fantastic news. I was especially interested in your story as have had same high grade cancer and currently undergoing optional chemo treatment as I was very very early stage at 1A. This we know is a type that can come back despite early treatment so so glad you shared this especially as your prognosis was so  dire and hopeless. 

Please would you share how you got onto the trial and which treatment you were put on and any effects from it as I understand some immunotherapy is just as tough as chemo. I know one of our champion ladies on here MRSBJH would be interested in this.

Thank you xxx

Madesp 
  • Hi madesp

Treatment from Dec 2018 - Mar 2019 Chemo 4 cycles of Carboplatin and Pacitaxel. Scan after 4 cycles showed disease progression. Local hospital referred me for clinical trial. I was accepted onto trial 12/6/2019. Treatment was Lenvatinib tablets and Pembrolizumab infusion.  Had 35 cycles of this with very little side effects. June 2021 infusion was stopped and I remained on tablet daily since still with very little side effects. I have a CT scan every 12 weeks and so far shows overall stable appearance. To be honest the worst part of this journey has been transport to London which my daughter had to do every 3 weeks until June 2021 when I found a Community Transport hub that now does it, for how much longer with the price of petrol today.

Hugs Monetta

• Hi . I'm so happy to read your good news. As I'm certainly very interested in what trials you were put on. I myself was stage 1b/grade 3 serous adenocarcinoma and metastasised after 10 months. When I read the letter from my Oncologist to my GP my future looked very curtailed, thankfully I responded well to chemo.

Just had 6 cycles of chemo after which my Oncologist is hopeful I won't need more treatment until Xmas/New Year. CT scan showed further reduction of masses and lesions. After I asked how many cycles of chemo can the body withstand before effectiveness lessened he said a second session of 6 cycles still good but subsequent ones less so and start to affect bone density etc.

Dostarlimab isn't an option for my cancer so I've made a note of the treatment you had to bring it up at my next quarterly meeting in August.

Most of the time I'm very positive but some days have a bit of a wobble like the last few days so thank you for giving me a glimmer of hope!

Great big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello Barb

Glad to have helped

Hugs Monetta xx

• Fabulous fabulous! My mum is being treated there as well.  Trial drug Atezolizumab.  We have nothing but praise and gratitude for Royal Marsden xxxx