Seems like I'll be needing a wig after all .......

• 89 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Well, what a busy last few days. Took hubby to hospital for his hip replacement op Friday morning. Had to get up at 5am to leave at 6 (after walking dog in the moonlight) to be there for 7.30. Brought him home Saturday afternoon - how quick is that??

In the afternoon my CNS called, we'd been waiting for the written report for my CT scan. I wasn't good news. My disease is back in several places. I was placed on the MDT meeting for Monday and saw my Oncologist yesterday - lovely guy, known him a few years now as he was hubby's Oncologist for Prostate Cancer. I was given permission to take my friend as hubby's in the hospital so I knew it wouldn't be good news.

It seems I have lesions on my liver and spleen and a large mass in my abdomen (that's what been causing the pain in my chest and tummy) and another mass just where my ovaries used to be. I had no words - makes a change for me!!

Anyway I start 6 sessions of chemo each at 3 weekly intervals in the next couple of weeks. Prognosis isn't marvellous - my cancer was a grade 3 so it seems I'll never be free of it, therefore will be having what's called palliative treatment for the foreseeable.

To say I'm bricking it is an understatement. Hubby and I are trying very hard to process things, he's taking it much harder than I am. He's 10 years older than me and he always joked I'll be out on the town when he goes first. 

I'm not writing this feeling sorry for myself, I'm bloody angry to be honest but determined to kick the little **it into touch.

Up side, I'll get a wig- don't know if I'll go redhead or long blonde or just wear my baldness with pride. If you live in Ireland or Scotland wigs are free, if you're not on any benefits you have to pay for them but you do get a voucher towards some of the cost - I don't think that's unfair and if I have the energy I fight for free wigs in England!

Anyway ladies, I might not be around as much as normal but you'll know the reason why.

Big hugs, Barb xx

• Correction:  I do think it's unfair or I don't think that's fair. Bxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Barb,

I am truly sorry to hear this news, but if it has called on the person who can give this  vile disease a complete battering, & kicking  I feel you are up for the fight! It just doesn’t seem fair does it Barb, when you’ve endured so much already, but then again fairness & cancer just do not compute. Your resilience and good humour will get you through Barb, take each day & break it down into small parts when it gets tough, deal with the now. Your support to others on here is amazing, & it’s now time for us to support you, so if you need a chat, when you don’t want or need to talk with others you know, We are around, whenever and whatever you need to offload. I love your theory on wigs, my husband has a very dry sense of humour, and as soon as I was diagnosed he was showing me pictures of various styles, colours and  designs of wigs, but I just told him I would go for the full coco the clown multi coloured bouffant! -  thankfully I didn’t need chemo so I still have my aging greying tabby cat version of my own hair! Sending lots of love & positivity to both you & your husband Barb, you’re an inspirational strong human being. Love Emm xx

• Hello Barb

I am so so sorry to hear your news… but I know you will kick its ar*se and will come out a winner.   So, chin up and continue being you…. Mum went through chemo and she said she didn’t find it as daunting as she first thought…. First three days ok… exhaustion/chemo side effects for next 4 days and then she perked up and went for long walks! 

mum enjoyed choosing her wig too! 

you’ve got this… stay positive you will be fine.  Please let me know if I can help in any way…lots of love always xxxxxxxx

• I’m so, so sorry.

I’m thinking of you so much and sending strength and healing vibes to you through the ether.

Love and gentle hugs, Pippa xxxxx

• So sorry to read this, Barb. I've not been around much due to my hubby being in hospital for bowel cancer for 4 weeks!! I've tended to ask more on the bowel side!!! He has been home 2 weeks and last week was worrying getting him to eat and the bag to work, but I think we are there now!! Looks as if he may have a bag for life, but at least he is still around. He battles on, and you must, too. xxxxx

• Hi Barb I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  It's hard to find the right words and  I can only say  I will be rooting for you and am sure you will be fine dealing with the chemo.   Lots of love Chris x
  • Oh Barb, what truly terrible news - you've been such a rock for all of us, let us be yours in the coming weeks and months. I've always felt we were kindred spirits, being diagnosed and treated at almost the same time during lockdowns, but now is different. This seems doubly unfair given your hubby's just had his op and hopefully will be in a better place to support you but not just yet. If there's anything I can do, please ask, although our geographies are at opposite ends of the country.

On the wig front, I remember a teacher from school days who seemed to have different coloured hair every day: perhaps you can choose to match yours to the outfit of the day? Is there a wig exchange? Or could you use scarves and bonnets as an alternative to the bare-headed look in winter?

I can understand your anger - we're all rooting for you and keeping fingers crossed that the treatment goes well. I'm sure others with more experience will be along soon to offer their wisdom on dealing with the process and its side effects. Please keep in touch.

Love and hugs,
    DxSpider web

• Hi Barb,

I am so sorry to hear your news and can understand  your anger and shock. I hope your  treatment helps and is not to unpleasant. 

You have been such a help to so many on this site, so hopefully  we can all help you now with support.

Good luck with  the wigs, a friend of mine had a really brightly  multi-coloured nod!

Carolina61
  • Hi Barb

• I'm so sorry to hear your news, you are a true supporter on here and now it is time for us to support you. Ladies, please don't accept telephone appointments with your consultant after womb cancer, especially grade 3. Always insist on face to face so that they can examine you and send for a scan if necessary. Barb, I hope your treatment goes well, I shall be making prayers to Medicine Buddha for you. Keep positive and visualise being completely cured. Gentle hugs love Nikki xx
  • Hi and all you lovely ladies. Thank you all so much for your lovely messages of support can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Got my first date today 6th December and session 2 on 31/12 - Happy New Year!

The thing that's shocked me so much about all f this is I have had a face to face (or face to fanny LOL) consultation every three months, the last being at the beginning of this month. At that one they said there is no evidence of recurrence. What seems to happen they are only examining visually and digitally the area operated on. My cancer's sprung back in the "next room" as it where. When I mentioned the pains I'd been experiencing in my chest and tummy and bowel problems he didn't discount it out of hand, he more or less said the thoracic area isn't his area so I needed to consult my GP. (Which I was in the middle of)

Even my CNS was pretty sure I didn't have recurrence but the fact I'd alerted her to the fact I'd had a scan ordered by my GP and she looked out for it. As soon as she saw the report (before my own doctor) she'd alerted the MDT and my Oncologist.

I was told after my op and brachytherapy my body was free from cancer. As my CT and MRI scans were done before the op there's a high possibility these tumours had already started growing. At my first post op consultation I asked if I'd have a CT scan done but was told no (basically there's insufficient funding) we, the patients are expected to bring up any problems - which I did at the first sign of a problem back in August but was told as it sounded unrelated to gynae problems to consult my GP.

I'm not angry at the NHS as they've been brilliant to my mind but I will, if I have the energy, campaign to ensure that quarterly check-ups are preceded by a CT scan. If that was the case my recurrence wouldn't have been so severe in it's spread.

It might be a good idea if you all lobby your consultant's to have CT scans done.

Hugs to all, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett