Brachytherapy

• 11 replies
  • 65 subscribers

I have to have 2 brachytherapy sessions and I am frightened.  Is it necessary.  What are the short term and long term effects.

• Hello Shortly, welcome to this forum.

I had my cancer diagnosis about a year ago, after I’d had post menopausal bleeding ( well spotting actually). I had a trans vaginal ultrasound and a biopsy which revealed there were cancer cells present. Had my hysterectomy last August, and when I got my histology results I was Grade 1 Stage 1b.  Much to my dismay the surgeon recommended further treatment, three sessions of brachytherapy. He told me this would reduce my chances of a recurrence from about 15% down to about 5%. He said it was a “belt and braces” approach and some women chose not to have it done.

I absolutely agonised over the decision for about two weeks, even had my first ever panic attack I was in such a state! My thinking was that I was fit and well and did I want to take the risks of side effects. I went to see the oncologist, and he really put my mind at rest. He said side effects were more a problem with external radiation therapy, as it is over a wide area, whereas brachytherapy is very targeted. He also said the radiation source that is used is about the size of a grain of rice, which I found very reassuring. Once I decided to go ahead with the treatment I felt as if a huge weight had lifted off my shoulders.

The treatment itself was fine. My first appointment was a long one, about two hours and so they put in a catheter, which pinched a little as the put it in, but was then OK. Then they put in a tube, or applicator, which is taped into place. These are various sizes, so don’t panic about it, they make sure you get the correct one.  Then I had a ct scan, that was funny as the nurses had to get me off the trolley and onto the scanner bed without dislodging the tube. It was the ct scan which made the appointment so long.  

The actual radiation therapy took about 5 minutes, it’s like having an x-Ray. All the staff leave the room but can see you on camera and can communicate with you. I couldn’t see much as I was flat on my back on the trolley.  The machine makes a whirring noise, as the radiation source travels into the applicator tube, you don’t feel anything at all, and then before you know it the staff are back in the room. My further two sessions were much shorter, about half an hour each time as I just had to go in, get undressed, and have the applicator inserted The staff are so kind and do as much as they can to make you feel comfortable and as dignified as possible.

At my hospital they put on a cd for me to listen to, unfortunately it was the Fishermen’s Friends, singing sea shanties! I would have preferred the Stones! I’m pleased to say I haven’t suffered any side effects. My sessions were one a week for three weeks. Others here have had brachytherapy but didn’t have the ct scan., or the catheter, and some had their sessions much closer together. So hospitals vary slightly in how they do things. Sorry for the long post, but I thought it might help you to hear exactly what happened in my treatment. It is undignified but very “do-able”.  It will really help if you can stay as relaxed as possible, tho we are all scared of the unknown aren’t we? So practice some deep breathing, do some pelvic floor exercises afterwards - they should be able to give you a leaflet - and two sessions will be over and done with before you know it! Good luck!

Viv

• Hi Shortly, I understand exactly how you're feeling - it was the same for me. But I agree with Viv, it's more straighforward, if somewhat undignified, than some of the information you might see about it on the web. I had worked myself up into a right state beforehand, almost to the extent of not proceeding with brachy (my cancer was Stage 1b Grade 2). However, proceed I did, and so far have had no discernible side effects.

I had 3 x 7-minute treatments on 11, 15, 18 December last year, following TLH at end of October where they took ovaries, fallopian tubes, womb, cervix, and 14 pelvic lymph nodes. I was anxious that brachy was so soon after the op and requested an internal exam of vaginal cuff to confirm healing was progressing well. The first brachy session was the longest as staff explained the process, checked out the size of applicator to use, etc and lasted about 50 minutes; the subsequent ones were about half that time. I took along my own CDs, which they played for me during the time I was alone in the room receiving radiation. After the treatment, the radiotherapy staff recommended using dilators every day for four weeks, and then once weekly for life (or regular sex) - each treatment centre seems to have its own ideas on this. I've had no difficulty with internal examination following treatment so am assuming that any scarring from radiotherapy is minimal. Hope that helps. Dx

• Hi . Like & I had the same procedures last year. 3 sessions of Brachytherapy on Thursday, Tuesday and Thursday 6 weeks after hysterectomy. I fully agree with what both ladies wrote.

I've had no side effects with urinary problems but do confess occasionally have bouts of diarrhoea for which I keep a stock of immodium (From any chemists) to hand. Mind you the diarrhoea is normally after a glass or two of a nice Malbec or Rioja.

I dislike using the dilators but they are necessary to keep the vaginal open and supple for future internal examinations ( for the next 4 years)

Sending hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you to everyone for your responses.  I feel more calm and easy now.  I was diagnosed last November after spotting followed by a bleed.  I had my op December 31 afterwards followed by x6 adjunct chemotherapy and 25 adjunct radiotherapy.  I finished radiotherapy last week and I am very tired I have radiotherapy diarrhoea but yes Imodium works.  On top of this my husband and me have been fighting his cancer and 5 July he had hip replacement which we elected to pay for because of the waiting list and he has been on morphine since November for the pain.  So all in all we have had a very rough two years.  Anyway brachytherapy next week Tuesday and Thursday and my oncologist says I can celebrate the end of treatment on Thursday.  So thank you for your support.  

• Hi - that's another thing we have in common!. My hubby had his left hip replaced in 2012. His right hip started playing up after he took me to the hospital for my ops, two hour plus drive, waiting around then driving back. (Why is it always my fault??!) He was on co-codamol for months - horrible things, made him very ill, had a cortisone jab in June & we thought it'd done the trick but it's as bad as it ever was now. He's been put on the waiting list but no idea how long?? Would it be terribly rude of me to ask how much his hip replacement cost privately? 

Sending hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• We went to Nuffield, it was quicker, and cost £14068.  Nearly cleaned us out but at our age, he is 81, we haven’t time to wait and I knew how bad the pain was when he said  go private.  The same surgeon he saw NHS.  If you get quotes from other private hospitals  they say they price match, I was to ill to bother we just wanted things moving forward.

• My hubby's 78 - perhaps we'll think about it, spending kid's inheritances! Good to know they price match!

Barbxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Our problem was because my husband a cancer matestized ,can’t spell it, in his lower spine it took a long time to convince the medics it was his hip not his cancer.  In the end his oncologist stepped in and requested an X-ray and wrote directly to the orthopaedic team but by now my husband was on morphine and I don’t think he could have lasted another year.  We fell foul of the covid causing NHS problems along the way.

• Thanks so much. Just had a long discussion with oncologist and have decided on brachytherapy rather than radiotherapy which had a far higher chance of damaging the bladder and bowels and I already have trouble with those. She is pretty sure that will get rid of any remaining cancer cells. They will keep monitoring me and do radiotherapy if it is needed in the future. Great weight off my mind as I have a two hour journey each way for treatment. Hope things go well for you x

• I have an hour each way and I am lucky that we have a volunteer scheme, pay only the out of pocket expenses, who take me and wait for me.  I couldn’t use the hospital transport because I needed to be home ASAP to care for my husband.

yes I feel more at ease with this treatment after these ladies shared with us their experience.  I have met so many caring people during the last year I feel quite humble and hope when I am through all of this I can do my bit to help others.

take care and spoil yourself, as they say, you are worth it.