Newly diagnosed

• 11 replies
  • 66 subscribers

I found out this week that I have stage 1 endometrial cancer. I had an appointment with the gynae surgeon and will be having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy, hopefully in the next month. 

The consultant showed me my MRI scan and commented that I have a very large bladder. He said that I might have problems afterwards and may need to self-catheterise for a time. That all sounds quite scary.

I am also concerned about my recovery post-op as I have an underlying rheumatological disease which has affected my muscles, making them very weak. My mobility is limited (I need to use crutches) and my core strength is also poor. I’m worried that it’s going to be hard for me to get going after surgery and also once I’m home. I’m not able to do a great deal at the moment and as I live on my own, I’m worried that it’s going to be a struggle.

How much discomfort do you get from a laparoscopic hysterectomy?

• Hi FlorrieMcWorrie,

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 3 years ago at age 72. I was fairly mobile beforehand, but was amazed at how quickly I got over it all. I had pain killers in hospital, but stopped them after 2 days when I got home. The pain was no worse than a bad period ( I could hardly remember that!!) I found the worst bit was bending, so I tended to kneel first if I needed to pick anything up! Lying in bed was uncomfortable for a few days. I couldn't/didn't dare turn over!! I found the pain far more bearable than childbirth! 

I had trouble with my bladder after the operation, and they talked about me self - catheterising at home. Fortunately a nurse taught me how to make sure my bladder emptied, and they let me home after 2 days. She told me to lift up one leg with my arms, then the other whilst on the loo, and to lean forwards. I really couldn't tell if I needed to wee, or not, I was so numb down there! I read that you have to retrain your bladder, so I went to the loo by time and gradually increased the time between loo visits! I had some very odd feelings the first week at home including passing a thimble full  of urine, then urine coming out uncontrollably. As I was petrified I went back to hospital to be checked out. They said it was all settling down. I think the nerves started wakening up! No-one else on here seems to have had that problem, so the chances are you won't either.

Is there anyone who could stay with you for a while? You might need help lifting shopping, making your bed, etc. as you have to take it easy for a while afterwards. Its mainly no lifting, or stretching. Good luck xxxx

• I felt I recovered from the surgery ok  (not much pain) but needed help with the injections and putting the stockings on. For six weeks I did no housework. You will need someone around to help you. 

• Thank you. I’m classed as Clinically Extremely Vulnerable because I’m on high dose immunosuppressants because of my rheumatological condition so I’ve been shielding on my own since last March. A friend does a weekly shop for me and also batch cooks meals for my freezer. I’m worried about being able to get myself upstairs as I currently go up on all fours and come down them on my bottom! Also bending down to feed my cat. 

• Thank you. I think I will struggle with the stockings as I’ve not got a lot of strength. How long did you have to inject yourself for?

• Hello Florrie

I had this operation last Friday afternoon and was home the next afternoon. To be honest I took 2 paracetamol before Saturday bedtime and that’s all I’ve needed. I’ve been uncomfortable but it’s not been unbearable pain wise, so I count myself really lucky. The 2 main issues have been, having to do the daily  injections for 4 weeks and excruciating constipation. I do have family at home but have managed to do things I could before the op, without having to ask, exceptions being, lifting and hoovering. I really hope you get on ok, but would say, pull in as many favours with family/friends/neighbours as you can and don’t expect too much of yourself. I hope it all goes well for you. 
    Deb

• Thank you. I will see if I can sort out someone to come and stay for a few days. I hope your recovery continues to be good.

• Hi Florrie,

I think you may have trouble with stairs in that case. I managed stairs walking gingerly! Could you sleep downstairs for a while? I think the hospital might get you help if you tell them your problems. Also, round here, Portsmouth area, we have a site called 'Nextdoor'. I think it is a Nationwide thing, but people are willing to help on there if there is one near you. xxxxx

• Thank you, I will take a look and see if there is something similar round here if I can’t get a friend to stay. I might give my cancer nurse a call to share my concerns too.

• Hello FlorrieMcWorrie. I am sure you will need help at home in the early days. I did, even though I was (and am now again) an athletic person. It sounds like you are well aware of which activities will be problematical for you so I will just add some tips about the anti-DVT stockings.  I had open-toe ones, and someone gave me a great aid for getting them on. I found a similar aid online, search for "Sigvaris" and then on their website search for "foot slips". It is a little silky slippy sock; you put that on, then slide the elastic stocking on over it, then pull the foot slip out through the toe-hole of the elastic stocking. (Or you can use a small plastic bag instead of the foot slip, I think the nurse in hospital did that for me). If you have stockings without a hole at the toe there are gadgets you can get which are like a plastic gutter with a handle or a string on: you put the stocking over the gutter to hold it open while you get your foot in, then pull the aid away with its handle. Search online for "sock aid". Is there an Occupational Therapist available to advise you? Can the District Nurse service help you with socks and injections? Wishing you all the best for a successful outcome. LR.

• Hello I agree with the other ladies. I might be a good idea to contact your GP surgery to arrange a District Nurse to visit, give you your anti clotting jabs and assist with Teds stockings. Even people who are fit struggle to put them on. 's advice about Sock aid is also good. 

I had a TLH & BSO last September and recovered really quickly with minimal pain. I was careful about bending and did no lifting but regular short walks increasing gradually until back to usual. 

Sending you big hugs, B Xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett