Vulva biopsy

• 6 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi! I am new here and I recently had a biopsy of a lesion in the perineum and had the result within 1 week.  I was having a smear test due to 3 years HPV and my GP asked if they could do a biopsy at the same time. The result came back as VIN3, the nurse who rang me said there was nothing to worry about as the Dr had taken wide margin so it would be fine, they haven’t had the result of the smear test yet, she said they would see me again in a couple of weeks.  I’m getting a bit anxious now as in 1994 I had a similar excision on the other side of the vulva and it was a squamous cell carcinoma, this was excised completely and I didn’t need any further treatment eg chemo etc.,.  I have suffered with Lichen Sclerosus for many years and wondered if this has anything to do with this diagnosis.

I am 67 soon 68, have numerous medical conditions and lots of medications.  I’m waiting to have an op for a blocked Subclavian Artery which has been on going for 2 years, so been under a lot of stress with this too. 

Not sure if this is the right place to be, but just looking for some clarifications if VIN3 can turn into cancer? 
Titchyj

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

You are in the right group for advice and support and I hope you’ll find it helpful.

I can understand your concerns about your recent tests-I also had issues caused by the hpv virus, but they were cervical and I’ve not had VIN. The virus can cause cell changes in various areas-cervix, vagina and vulva for example.

It is good news that your doctor obtained good margins from your biopsy, but I can understand that you’ll be anxious waiting for further results. The link I’ve given below gives more information about VIN and might answer some of your questions

Vulval intraepithelial neoplasia

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on, and feel free to use the group to ask any questions and share your worries.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you SarahH21 for your reply and sorry you have troubles too.  I will take a look at your suggested site for Mir info.

titchyj

• I’ve noticed the link I gave you doesn’t work, so I’ve reported this to the team and they will fix it for me-my apologies. It should be available shortly.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• It’s working now.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I've just had results from my biopsy yesterday and the cancer has returned,  it was only March this year since I finished chemoradiation. 

I'm just waiting for the mdt meeting next Thursday to see what's happening. 

I've told them that I will not be having radiotherapy has I've still got some very small radiation burns. 

I've opted for surgery, but I will probably have a stoma bag has the leison is on my pernium and annus.

Just wait this hanging around.

• Hi  

I remember you in the group before, and I’m sorry to read your cancer has recurred. It’s awful when that happens after going through chemoradiation.

You can’t have radiotherapy again in the same area, but the mdt will decide on the best course of action for you. I chose surgery when my cancer recurred, and I have two stomas, a permanent colostomy and a urostomy. 

I have had my rectum removed, but not my anus, so our surgeries may be different, but I’ve been living with stomas for more than 4 years, so if I can help with any questions I’ll do my best, based on my own experiences.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum