Diagnosed with vulva cancer 4 weeks ago

• 36 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi everyone. D DAY  tomorrow,  going to see gynaecology oncology drs to see what my treatment will be, I've had my biopsy,  mri scan and last week my petscan,  hopefully they have all the tests that need to be done to tell me what treatment they will be offering. 

• Hello Harrybo

I am sorry to hear that you have had a diagnosis of vulval cancer. I hope your appointment today goes well and gives you the answers you need. Do not be afraid to ask lots of questions. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else you need.

If you have any medical questions after your appointment or you just would like to talk things through, then please do give the Support Line a call and speak to one of the nurses. The details are at the end of this.

Good Luck with your appointment

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Harrybo,

I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight, knowing that tomorrow you can move forward with some decisions on treatment plan.

I'm new on this journey too - only referred to hospital on 1st Dec on a 2WW appointment from GP,  biopsy on 6th Dec and surgery on 21st Dec.  I'm still learning the language as its all happened so fast but one week post op and I think I'm doing pretty well!  Wide local excision of tumour with margin and skinning of area of VIN3. I had a general but only day surgery and up walking straight away. I've managed some walking, a lot of standing up... lying on sofa and sleeping on my back. I recommend afternoon nap even if you think you are OK- a great believer in healing power of rest & sleep. My results in 2 weeks. Best item purchased is a peri bottle for washing after peeing.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. The way forward may seem daunting but it is moving forward x

• Hello Harrybo,

I am also sorry to hear of your diagnosis too, it comes as a real shock when you receive the results.  I wish you all the best and please feel free to ask any questions.  I had my vulvectomy in June and will be here to share any information you might need, so don’t hesitate to ask.  This community is so helpful and understanding.  No question is a silly question.  

• Thanks for your reply,  consultants have said that I've 2 options,  1, major surgery with a stoma bag due to the tumour attaching to my annus,  2 radiotherapy with a little chemo , I have chosen option 2, but having trouble coming to terms with side effects. 

• Hi hun, sorry it's took tome to reply to you, had to get my head around it, yours was pretty quick, I'm on week 7 since gp referral , consultant has given me 2 options,  1 major surgery with a stoma bag due to tumour attached to my annus,  2, radiotherapy with a little chemo , awaiting appointment for seeing oncologist to see about radiotherapy,  my mind is all over the place at moment 

• I would have taken option 2 also.  I haven’t needed radiotherapy or chemo after my op. I didn’t want to read about the side effects at the time as I would have worried.  I hope they aren’t as bad as you are expecting.  Sorry I cannot enlighten you more.

• Write down your questions before appointment- as well as information, writing it down may help clear your head a little whilst waiting for the appointment x

• Thanks, I've a long list to ask oncologist when I get my appointment,  I'm just struggling with the pain when urinating xx

• Hi.

Hope your treatment goes ok. I would have also choose option 2. 
    Good luck 

Clare 

• Did anyone have pain in their buttocks after urinating,  x