new here, nervous

• 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi all, I'm new here, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet but I just want to share my experience to hopefully gain some support and make community with others going through the same thing.

I went to the doctor yesterday for gynecological symptoms I've had for around a year (vulvar lesion about 2.5cm long that keeps growing and changing colors, pain+ bleeding after intercourse, occasional itchiness and soreness). All my STD+STI panels are completely negative.

She said my groin lymph nodes were a little swollen, she's referring me to the gynecologist for a vulvar biopsy on my lesion. I'm really worried, especially since the lesion keeps changing colors and has about doubled in length since i first noticed it around 2 years ago. She's referring me to the gyno at the hospital to "cover all our bases in case it's something more complicated." 

I'm really worried. I know I should stay off Google but I've suspected vulvar cancer for a couple months and won't have any answers until after my biopsy. I'm not even sure when my appointment is yet.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? How do you deal with the severe anxiety of waiting for your appointment/test results?

Any support/advice is much appreciated.

• Hi Hun, I know it’s hard but try not to worry too much. It does sound like what I had and I had biopsies taken, they were very quickly done and results came back within 2 weeks. I do have vulva cancer but it’s been found early so after a lot of further tests Im now waiting for my admittance date for my op. There are other things it could be lichen schlerosis, these look like ulcerated sores which some people can mistake for cancer. My mother has this. The most important thing is you’re being tested and they will do whatever is needed whatever the outcome. My gynaecologist was very kind and gentle when taking the biopsy’s and after the initial sting of the anaesthetic I felt nothing whilst they did them. If you have these done just ensure you keep the area free from soap as mine got infected due to using soap in the area after a tiny stitch came out. I hope this has answered any questions you had Blush

• Hi, 

I’m a newbie myself. Diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer and had surgery to remove it. 

The anxiety is tough, the brain instantly goes to the negative and then down the rabbit hole for a wander. 

A lot of things keep me on an even keel but I have my dark days like everyone. One big thing is my breathing and quietening my mind, pushing past the “noise” and just using my inner voice to tell the negative to basically “FU you have no power over me. Goodbye.” It does help when you put all your belief into it, even if you think your inner voice is quiet, say it loud but keep your breathing steady.

A few breathwork techniques I’ve been doing for a while like Wim Hof ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BNejY1e9ik&t=186s&pp=ygUbd2ltIGhvZiBicmVhdGhpbmcgdGVjaG5pcXVl )  has been most helpful but I also do a 5 second slow inhale then a 5 second slow exhale and I keep that rhythm when stuff in the “rabbit hole” tries to creep into the big world. I hope this helps and keep the mind positive. You’ve got this.