Vulvectomy - VIN !!!

• 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi all,

I have just received the news that I must have an operation for Vin3.  The operation will go right back to the perineum.  However, the anesthetist was not in favour of my going under anesthetic.  Reasons given:  Age (74) smoker and sero positive rheumatoid and osteo arthritis. I am now awaiting on an appointment with the Surgeon and would appreciate any info on this operation, especially if someone has had it done.

Many thanks for potential responses.

• Hi  ,

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. 

I had a WLE to remove VIN3 and would be happy to answer any questions you have. 

Mine also went up to my perineum. I had a general anaesthetic so no knowledge in the area of not having one. 

My top tips are to have plenty of lose and comfortable clothes for after surgery, prepare meals and freeze them to make life easier after surgery and have something to help you rinse the area after toileting- a peri bottle is a good option. Ask your team as many questions as you need to. They are there to help and there’s no such thing as a silly question. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank  you so much for your info re VIN 3.  Do you know how long you were in surgery, also how long did you have to stay in hospital? A question you may not want to answer but if you had to do it again, would you? A very big thank you for your communication.  It's wonderful to have Community Champions.

• Hi  ,

I can’t quite remember how long I was in surgery. I think around half an hour the first time and a bit longer the 2nd time. The first time I was allowed home the same day and the 2nd time I stayed in for one night. I would and did have the surgery again. I can’t say I was thrilled with the idea, but they didn’t get a clear margin and wanted to take a bit more. For me I wanted piece of mind that it was all gone. Everyone is different though and you need to do what’s right for you.

You are most welcome. I am always happy to answer any questions you have. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

• Many thanks for your speedy response.  I now have an appointment in April with the Surgeon and hopefully learn what the next step will be.

Kind regards.

• Hi  ,

Good luck with your appointment with the surgeon next month. 

Hear any time if you want to chat. 

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx