Hello

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

I am new to this forum so just saying hello really.  I was diagnosed with cancer of the vulva in July this year.  Had a radical vulvectomy to remove the tumor and full lymph nodes removal from one groin and a partial removal of lymph nodes from the other groin. I was in hospital for 10 days initially because of drains etc. I later developed an infection  in my groin which resulted in a further 8 day admission to hospital. Biopsy results were good as all the lymph nodes were free of cancer   They did however find pre cancerous cells in the margins taken around the tumor so not out of the woods yet and I may need a further operation to remove this in about 3 months when all my current wounds have healed.  

I am healing well now and beginning to get back to normality but feeling so up and down all the time. Serm to be okay for a while then just sit and cry.

I am considering trying to go back to work to see how that goes and to distacr myself from the fear that constantly washes over me.

Are these feeling normal?

Can anyone suggest any coping mechanisms?

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community, although I am sorry you find yourself here. 

Sorry to hear you had a difficult time after your surgery and that you may face further surgery. I am so pleased that all of your nodes are free of cancer though! What a relief. 

Your emotions are very normal. Your mind and body has been through a lot. If you feel that talking to someone that has a good understanding of what you have been through then Macmillan offer 6 free counselling sessions. If you would like further information then you can access it by clicking here

I received my diagnosis and treatment last year and am happy to talk and answer any questions you may have if I am able to. 

Take care, 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm