Hi, new here

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hello, I'm new. So new, that I don't have a firm diagnosis yet. I had a referral to gynae clinic about a wart-like growth I'd had for a while and both gp and I had written it off as a skin tag or wart. Fast forward about 4 years and it started feeling sore during sex and sometimes when wiping after going to the toilet, so I got referred by a different GP at surgery. At the clinic I had a biopsy taken and the growth removed. 5 weeks ago I got called back in and told it looked 'sinister' but 'early' and that I would have an MRI. 2 weeks later I had the MRI and then went on a scheduled trip to Canada for about 2 weeks. Last weekend I got back to a letter with an appointment for 2 weeks time (now Friday coming) so now I'm trying to read up on types and treatment but I suppose I can't get too in depth until I know the damage so to speak. 

• Hi ,

Sorry for the slow response. 

Sorry you find yourself in this position, it must be doubly difficult to not have a definitive diagnosis. 

The treatment often depends on the diagnosis. For example, I was a stage 1b squamous cell carcinoma and I only required a wide local excision to remove the tumour, area of VIN and a healthy margin. However if my sentinel node biopsy had been  positive then my stage would have change to a stage 3 and I would have needed radiotherapy. 

I know it’s difficult not to try and plan, but in my experience the only way to know is to follow a series of tests and appointments to see where the diagnosis takes you- frustrating I know! 

I am very happy to answer any questions you may have if I am able to, so please feel free to ask. 

I wish you the best of luck!

Take care, 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm