Newbie saying hello

• 5 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi. Just a quick hello. I found out yesterday I have Vulvar Cancer. Just my bloody luck to get one that’s super rare, and I’m only 45. Not sure of what’s to come, but I’m not relishing the fact that I’ll have to have surgery down there, but such is life. I also stupidly left it nearly 2 years before seeking medical advice, so it’s spread like wildfire. My main concern now is my 16 year old daughter. I don’t know where to go from here. Much love to everyone. 

• Hi Sally

I'm sorry to hear about your situation at home....that sounds awful and it's not what you need when your going through this.

I was diagnosed with Vulva cancer last year at age 36. I've had 2 operations so far this year and have just started radiotherapy and chemotherapy this week. Have they discussed what sort of operation they are planning?

If you have any questions or just want to chat feel free to message me. Everyone is really nice and helpful and I'm sure you'll get the support you need on here.

Take care xx

• Thank you for your reply. I haven’t had chance to discuss my options re surgery or anything yet, as they only told me I had Cancer yesterday. I was told in Scarborough hospital, and they said I’ll be dealt with at Hull, where they will check how far it’s spread and what my options are. You’re so young! I naively thought I’d probably be the youngest. How have you dealt with things?? Do you have children? I’m so scared of what’s to come. How has all this affected you? I’m scared I’ll have to leave work too, and I don’t know how I’ll manage. Much love strong lady. X

• Hi

No I don't have any children although my husband and I did try for a while. I had a miscarriage when I was 30 and we decided after that that it probably wasn't meant to be. Unfortunately the treatment I've just started will make me infertile and cause early menopause......something else to look forward to lol.

I've been off work since February. I had a total vulvectomy, reconstruction and Sentinel lymph node biopsy in February. Unfortunately the biopsy results showed that the cancer had spread so I had all my groin lymph nodes removed in April. 

I've tried to stay positive throughout everything and not let it get me down....although that's not always easy. 

XxX

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community, although I am sorry you find yourself here.

I also have children and worried like crazy about them. 

My cancer was removed last year so if you have any questions then I would be very happy to answer them. I didn't have any chemo or radiation, so don't know much about them, but I had surgery so have been through that side of things.

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi, I'm new too. So far had a biopsy and a wart-like growth removed, followed by an MRI. I have my follow-up appointment on Friday, I'm assuming to find out the results and for an official diagnosis. When I got called in after the biopsy I was just told 'sinister' and 'early', so fingers crossed. I am 41 with an 8 year old daughter, who knows that mummy has been sore and is going to the hospital but for now is blissfully unaware of what exactly might be going on. I guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Good luck on your journey