Half vulvectomy with lymph node removal.

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi everyone, my name is Liz. I was diagnosed with Vin 3 then vulva cancer in November. I've had a wide exciton and mapping and it came back as Cancer. I'm so frightened I can't believe this has happened. You never think it will happen to you. Anyway I'm happy surgery on the 11th of January. I'm having a half vulvectomy with lymph nodes taken out in one side. The thing that is worrying me so much is if it has spread to the lymph nodes. I wondered if there is cancer in the nodes will it all be taken out with the surgery. 

• Hi Liz ()

Sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. My story is similar, I was diagnosed with VIN3 and then vulval cancer. I had a WLE and sentinel node removal. 

If you are having your lymph nodes taken out on one side then my understanding is that they will biopsy them to see if there is any cancer or cells in them. I am not medically trained, but my understanding is that if it’s contained to them nodes then that will be it removed. Although my consultant said that if it was in my nodes then I would need radiotherapy. I don’t know much more than this I’m afraid and I hear of things being done differently by different consultants so my experience could be different to yours.  I’m sure the nurses could answer your question more accurately  if you would like to call them on the Macmillan support number below. 

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery. Please do let us know how you get on and if you have any questions in the meantime then I am very happy to answer them if I am able to. 

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi new here. I have VIN 3 had some results  from biopsy and def turned to cancer. Waiting to see consultant but absolutely dreading it.

Hope all works out well with your surgery xx

• Hi Trish263, thank you for your message. So sorry to hear that your biopsy came back as cancer. I think that was the worse part for me. I was so shocked and scared when I got the phone call that I couldn't move from the spot for age's. You don't think it's ever going to happen to you !.... Please try not to worry too much because if they manage to get it all with a wide exciton then there is a good chance it will be cured... sending load's of hug's, please try not to worry too much.Some of the stories on here are scared, but don't read to much. Please let me know how you get on. If you need any questions answered I will try my best to help. Take care.xxx

• Hi vulval cancer warrior, thank you so much for your kind message. How are you now ? It is all so scary but I really hope you are doing well. Thank you so much for the phone number, I will definitely uHuggingse it. Sending hugs Huggingand wishing you well. Let me know how you are doing xxx

• Hi ,

I am doing very well physically now, I’m all healed and doing well. Mentally I still worry the cancer will return and panic over every little change. It definitely gets easier with time, but every little lump, bump or itch reminds me of my worries!

I agree, it is scary, but with time I’m learning to manage my fears. 

I’m glad you plan to give the helpline a call, they are so lovely and really helpful. 

Are you all set for your surgery on Tuesday? I hope you’re coping ok with it emotionally as I know it’s tough. 

Sending strength and well wishes your way. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm