High grade VIN

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi all

i previously had surgery back in 2006 and 2008 for VIN i am not sure what grade, on these occasions I  had no symptoms was picked up at routine smesr test.On both of these occasions I had WLE.

September 2020 i knew something didn't feel right and had I an itch so I visited my GP who referred me to hospital. I was seen very quickly and consultant didn't think it was anything to worry about and booked a return appointment for November ,I had a biopsy done as a precaution due to my previous history , the consultant was confident that this would be okay as visibly the area was not consistent with VIN and didnt think i would need follow up. However this came back as High Grade VIN the Drs are as shocked as I was and again stated that my situation is not typical of VIN visibly ( I do like to do things differently)  I had a WLE done on 01st February and to say i was a bit shocked by the severity (visibly)of the procedure is an understatement . I am awaiting the results from the operation. I am very anxious about this.

Sorry for the long post

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you keep getting recurrences of VIN. I have not had this condition but have found this information from Macmillan for you.

The good news is that VIN is not cancer but could develop into cancer if left untreated for many years. However, it sounds like your team are keeping an eye on you to prevent this from happening.

When I was waiting for biopsy and surgery results I found the best way to take my mind off it was to spend time doing things that I enjoyed. For example, do you have any hobbies that you're able to pursue within the Covid restrictions?

Lots of people find mindfulness useful and, if this something that you'd like to take a look at, clicking here will take you to the NHS mental health list of mindfulness apps some of which are free. You might also find this article on how to ease worry when waiting for medical results useful to have a look through.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let us know your results when you get them.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Just an update.

I received a call on 22nd Feb from the Dr who carried out my operation. The results had come back as Cancer . To say I am shocked is an under statement. The dr herself is shocked by the outcome. 

I have had my MRI and CT scans and saw the consultant yesterday 17th. I am to have further surgery on my Vulva area to ensure clear margins and also have Lymph nodes removed. I dont have a date for this yet but expect it to be within 4wks.

Cry

• I'm so sorry to hear that the results of you biopsy have come back showing cancer and I completely understand how devastated you'll feel right now.

When I was diagnosed with melanoma 4 years ago it was a complete shock to me as, like you, my consultant didn't think my lesion was anything to worry about. I too had further surgery to ensure clear margins along with a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) to check for spread to the nearest lymph nodes. 

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they got all the cancerous area with the first surgery and that your next set of results come back as negative for any cancer Fingers crossed

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"