What to expect at first appointment?

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

I haven't been diagnosed yet but I have my first appointment in a couple of days time after being14 day fast tracked by my GP. She suspects vulva cancer as I have had Lichen Sclerosis for a long time except for a few year period when I was immune suppressed. It came back with a vengeance a couple of months ago and hasn't responded to aggressive treatment. All the hospital have told me is that the appointment is with a Senior Consultant and will last 30 minutes. Can anyone kindly tell me what I should expect please? Is a biopsy likely and would I be able to drive home afterwards if they do one? Thanks

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read that your doctor suspects vulva cancer, but being fast tracked at least means you won’t have long to wait for your appointment to find out more.

I’d expect the consultant to have a chat through your medical history and the symptoms you’ve had, and for him/her to give you an examination. From this it may be that a biopsy will be taken and sent to the lab for a definitive diagnosis. These biopsies are typically very small samples of tissue, and I’d expect you would be fine to drive home afterwards. Hopefully others can also add their experiences for you too. If any biopsies are taken, there will be a wait for results as only a biopsy would give a definitive diagnosis of cancer. 

I hope you’ll let us know how you get on, and hopefully you’ll hear back about any next steps quite soon. There will always be support for you within the group if you do get a cancer diagnosis, so feel free to ask any questions or share your worries here.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm