Lichen Sclerosus

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 27 replies
  • 35 subscribers

After many years of suffering with a itchy vulva, I was finally diagnosed a couple of months ago by a fantastic GP with Lichen Sclerosus.

For many years I was told by numerous GP’s that it was thrush, a skin condition caused by the menopause, given many different types of creams, put on HRT & probably the most embarrassing & humiliating experience, sent to a STD clinic.

A few months ago the problem got worse so I went & saw a lady GP, she examined me & told me it was LS. I was prescribed a steroid cream which has helped but not cured it. She asked to see me every two weeks & on my last visit she found a white lump inside the vulva. I was referred to a gynaecologist & got an appointment 2 weeks later.

The gynaecologist has now referred me for an urgent biopsy, which will be done under general anaesthetic, in 2 weeks time.

Please forgive me if I am using the incorrect site but I’m at my wits end & so worried and I just had no idea where I could find other people who have suffered with LS as it seems to be such a taboo subject and nobody knows the real cause or if there is a cure.

Obviously I do not have a diagnosis yet but because I’ve had LS for many years & just lived with it, I’m now concerned it may have been left too long. 

I’m 57 years old & was menopausal at the age of 45.

I really would appreciate your comments

• Apart from the obvious difference in being a man your story sounds soooo familiar to me. I too had the long long line of thrush as a diagnosis even down to the level where my foreskin became a solid lump and ended up having a circumcision. Only later when I saw a locum GP did he diagnose LS and the steroid cream worked like magic. Cannot cure the problem but just keep a supply of the cream on hand and when things flare up the cream works really quickly - just as well as when it is bad I could quite literally scratch my skin off.

Don't know if you have seen the NHS pages on LS and while it says is does increase the risk of cancer it is only a small increase in risk, just need to be aware of symptoms and get things checked out if you notice and problem.

<<hugs>>

Steve 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to src60

Thanks Steve for your reply. Just need to get the biopsy out of the way and then I can relax

• Hi,

I also have LS and had been misdiagnosed for at least 30 years.

I had a tear then ulcer which got biopsyed and showed LS and Vulva Cancer.

There is no cure for LS but the steroid controls it.

You not had the Lump long so if it is Vulva cancer then it has been caught really early! 

I had my tumour removed May 2016.

Clare x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ClareB43

Thank you Clare for your comments. Let’s hope your right, maybe my lump will be nothing to worry about & if it is then as you say, it’s been caught early & hopefully will be treated easily.

It’s awful that there is no cure for LS, maybe GP’s should be made more aware of what LS looks like. Being misdiagnosed for years doesn’t help.

Mary x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Surfside, 

I have LS and thought for a long time itching due to Menopause, I'm 58, and having an underactive Thyroid so self treated. LS was mentioned when I went to the hosptal four years ago and had a internal scan after having a post menopausal bleed which was all clear and just put to a late period but as the lady doctor doing it suddenly,without saying anything, flicked her fingers over my cliterous, I thought what the hell is she doing! She then asked if had noticed any change down there saying things were starting to fuse together and it looked like LS. The way she did it shocked me and made me feel as if I been, well assulted I guess and so I didn't thing to ask any questions. She didn't say anything else about it and asked the nurse to give me a leaflet but they didn't have any LS ones left so gave me another with a few lines about LS in it, it didn't explain that you should get checked regulary or anything so went another four years treating myself. Anyway I started itching near my anus but just put up with it for about six months maybe longer, was worse at night but came and went but then started to feel uncomfortable and thought I had piles eventually I had a look and was horrified to see a small white growth like a skin tag or wart so I phoned the Doctor no appointments for three weeks but I got it such a state about it I went to the Sexual health clinic and she referred me to the hospital. Two weeks later I had a biopsy the nurse showed me what they removed and it was tiny it had felt huge between my cheeks! The doctor said it would be three weeks before I heard by letter of the results but when I explained I was going on holiday she said she would mark it as urgent. I rang the hospital several times asking if results were back and the Thursday before my holiday rang again, the secretary said results were back but still no letter had been done! So I asked if they could email a copy of the letter so that I could access it on holiday which the Secretary said should be no problem but they haven't done so. I had the biopsy on 26th September and still don't know the results! I bet they just sent a letter and it is waiting for me at home, bloody hopeless. Waiting for the results at home I was anxious and tearful, took time off work waiting is awful, here in Barbados not so bad :) think the Rum punches are helping I know I have to go back to face it but can't do anything about it at the moment. 

I wish my LS.had been treated and monitered and I wish the Doctor at the hospital had explained more and I might not have got to this stage. The thing is LS is such a personal thing you keep it to yourself and I think it is misdiagnosed a lot. At least you have now got the ball rolling and what ever it is can be dealt with fingers cross it all turns out to be ok.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much for your comments.

I too have also had an awful itch near my anus on & off for years but haven’t seen anything suspicious.

I do not know what to expect & like anyone can only keep thinking the worse

I’m shocked you are still waiting for your results & I pray everything is ok for you.

Lol I’ve been to Barbados a couple of times & the rum punches are lethal.

Whatever I have has hopefully been caught early & will be treated. I just hope I don’t have to wait too long for the results.

Xx 

•  I am also driven frantic by the wretched itching!  What ointment is best to stop the itching, please, anyone recommend anything that helps?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to collegegirl

Good morning 

I was prescribed Eumovate by my GP, it is a steroid cream that you can get over the counter at any pharmacy

It won’t cure the problem but does really help with the itching.

You should get it checked out by your GP, good luck

• Yes, I had Diprobase from the doctor which is an emollient, it didn't really help very much. Thanks for the tip - I will get eumovate from the pharmacy as it will save waiting for another doctors appointment.

Thanks!