Buttock Ache

• 7 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hello lovely people 

newbie here, I am 3 years post treatment and recently started to experience an ache in my right buttock, my GP thinks it’s Sciatica but I’m not convinced Frowning2️ I am due to see my oncologist soon and wondered if anybody has had this issue? It comes and goes and worse when I am sitting

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m not sure what treatment you had, so it might be a good idea to complete your profile so that it’s easier for others to reply to you. For example treatments like radiotherapy can have a range of effects which sometimes only appear later. 

I haven’t seen buttock pain come up in the group as something of concern, but I have had sciatica myself on and off for many years, so can sympathise with you if that’s what you have. If your symptoms don’t resolve, then it would seem a good idea to go back to your gp and ask for advice/help. As you are seeing your oncologist soon, it will definitely be worthwhile letting them know to see if they can suggest anything. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

Are you having any difficulties using the community and being able to reply? Please simply type what you want to say, and then hit the “reply” green box. I hope you’re able to post a reply and we can see if there’s any way we can try to help you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply, I was having tech issues yesterday ha ha Stuck out tongue closed eyes I finished my treatment in 2021 and had 12 chemo and 25 rads,  I am currently just experiencing intermittent aches in my right buttock, not painful but niggling! They come and go and ease off when I start walking or moving round it’s like a mild feeling of numbness and tingling. I don’t get anything in my legs just my butt! My worry is my tumour was on the right side Frowning2️ so feeling quite a bit of anxiety at the moment, my GP thinks sciatica but seeing my oncologist soon so see what happens. I also have a lot of stiffness in my hips and lower back as well, some days but again once up and about it eases.   

Lorraine xx 

• Hi Lorraine  

Glad you’ve succeeded in overcoming your tech issues! I know myself it’s very easy, even a long time after treatment ends, to imagine that aches and pains might be connected to our cancer.  

I certainly can identify with the aches and stiffness you are having, and mine is my right hip too-tumour was on my right hand side).

I did ask about possible pelvic insufficiency fractures following radiation ( I had 32 treatments) but an mri found no evidence of this.

As my aching is still there, I have come to assume it is not connected to my original cancer or my recurrence, as no evidence was found it could be, so I assume it is indeed sciatica. Currently I’m working with a physiotherapist, and this has helped a great deal, with the right stretching and moving exercises.

It’s definitely something to be checked out, but I hope you can get some reassurance from your oncologist. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah 

it’s weird isn’t it, we go through the mill with cancer and yet it constantly reminds us how stressful each little ache or pain can affect us Wink and the hardest bit is you are constantly looking for answers which that in itself turns on the anxiety button to full speed! The bit I can’t get my head round is I have no aches at night or in theJoymorning but as the day develops I start to feel my elusive butt ache JoyJoyJoy

Xxx