Worried about a lump

• 12 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I have a small lump high up in my vagina which is now about 3mm in diameter. I was aware of the lump before and called the surgery. I saw a physician associate who could also feel it and said it felt like a pimple. I then saw a GP who said he could not feel it and dismissed it all completely - that was two years ago.

I saw a GP last week and she could feel the lump and it is now bigger and becoming at bit painful at times and I have been referred for a colposcopy.

Do you think there is an chance of this being non-malignant?

• Hi  and welcome to the group

We are all just patients in these groups, so none of us would be able to say what this lump is, or whether or not it is malignant. The colposcopy will allow a detailed examination, and it’s possible that a small biopsy may be taken for analysis. 

I hope it turns out to be nothing of concern and that you’ll let us know how you get on.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks. Yes I have to wait for the colposcopy and then for the results of the biopsy. I haven't even got the appointment for a colposcopy yet. I am just a patient now but I used to be a health professional.

Reading through some of the threads her I have been surprised that nobody said they offered a reconstruction if they needed all or part of the vagina removed.

I am trying to keep busy as there is nothing I can do about this at the moment.

Kind regards

Itself xx

• Ilse  I mean. Damn predictive text

• Hi  

I wonder if it might  be harder being a health professional when you have a health worry like this? Maybe you have more knowledge than non professionals. 

I have had my whole vagina removed, but didn’t discuss reconstruction with my surgeon as I knew didn’t want any further surgery.  However, it’s a bit too early for you to think of that just now without a diagnosis. Reconstruction if it is required involves quite a lot of work.  

A number of my friends, who’ve had the same surgery as I have had, have gone ahead with vaginal construction, but they are not in this group. They are however mostly much younger than me, so I completely understand why they made that decision.

I hope it doesn’t come to that for you! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• The thing is it seems like the more obvious innocuous possibilities have been ruled put already. I do think having any kind of medical background makes you think of the worst.   come across two cases of vaginal cancer in my working life. Primary cancer I  thd vagina is rare, so often the primary could be elsewhere. I have not got any clear suggestion of cancer anywhere else. 

So they did not do the reconstruction at the same time then?

I am I  my 60's but actually having more sex now than I did when I was younger. I am now in a happy marriage. There were many years when I was on my own after the divorce from the father of my children.

Ilse xx

• I had extensive surgery, but some ladies have had the reconstruction at the same time as this so it is possible. Others have had it at a later date. I already had 3 surgeons doing my surgery and involving a plastic surgeon too would have made things more complex logistically getting a date for 4 surgeons. I was keen to have surgery as soon as possible while it was still an option, as delays may have made it impossible for me.

It’s understandable to want to have it done, but it just wasn’t important for me, especially as I had so many other things to contend with from surgery. It’s a very personal decision, but I’ve never regretted not having the reconstruction done,

I didn’t realise that other possibilities had already been ruled out for you, but I’d still keep hope that there is another explanation!

Sarah xx 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Yes there could be another explanation. I am not an expert in gynaecology.

So hopefully you have got rid of the cancer entirely?

Ilse xx

• Yes, it was successfully removed with clear margins at the time of my surgery.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Great that you have got rid of it xx
  • Great that you got rid of it.

I have sn appointment for colposcopy next week so I should know what's what by mid-September xx