Worried about Lump!

• 209 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hey guys,

I have a big lump inside my vagina, I'm having a lot of back and womb pain. My left leg is also swollen. The lump itself is rock hard at the bottom and covered by what feels like a water balloon. I've had a Bartolin's cyst before but this feels nothing like it! I've just gone through the menopause and I haven't had any bleeding, just awful bloating, running to the loo and th awful pain! I've  realised I've had this lump for years, I never paid it much notice as I thought it was part off my anatomy it was so hard! I had been having pain after sex and feeling sick but I ve so many other ailments it didn't register (I had a 3cm benign lump removed from my thyroid in Nov). I've booked with my gp for next week but I'm really worried...hoping it will be a cyst or maybe prolapse. Apologies for asking but what did everyone's lump feel like? This feels weird, there's at least 2cm thickness of rock hardness running the whole length of my vaginal wall, then the whole thing is enclosed in a massive watery balloon. 

• Hi  

So glad it wasn’t a scare for you! Well, at least investigations are moving with your ultrasound, and hopefully that will give some useful information. Best take the Tena lady just in case but I hope it will go smoothly for you. The sooner it’s done, the sooner you’ll be closer to an answer.

I never tried to examine my cervix at any point and as it’s long gone now, I never will but maybe just leave it for now-as you’ve seen you can make it sore with poking about. I would have no idea what a”normal” one should feel like personally! 

Keep us posted with how you get on and hope all goes well on Tuesday. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Pain not too bad today thank goodness! Wondering if it would be worth going privately for tests, the waiting around is killing me and I'm only at the very start of it lol! I just want whatever it is out, benign or otherwise! From the feel off it and my family history (My dad, mum, sister and aunt never made it past early forties/late 50's) I just don't think it's going to be good news! xx

• Hi  

I’m glad to hear your pain isn’t so bad today-that’s something positive to report!

I’m not sure it would be much quicker going private since you have the ultrasound coming up and if something untoward is found further tests tend to follow quickly. There are waits too in the private sector due to the number of people going that way because of delays in the nhs. But of course it’s your call. Maybe see how the ultrasound goes first? 

I’m sure your family history is playing on your mind too-both of my parents died with cancer, but I just had the feeling I would be different and buck the trend! So far, so good. 

Things might not be as bad as you imagine, so keep faith for now that there’s a less sinister answer than cancer. Take care, and please keep us posted. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I'm glad you're breaking the tradition!! What is happening with your situation? Do you get regular check ups? What about pain, is it generally ok? Sorry, just being nosey!! I'm feeling more positive that it isn't something sinister...the symptoms and location is leading me to believe it could be a Skene duct cyst, uncommon but pesky if it gets large, which seems to be the case. I could be wrong but I do feel if it was cancerous I would be much sicker, with discharge, bleeding etc and yes it could be asymptomatic but I just can't see it! Absolutely freaking about tomorrow, there could be a urine fountain in the radiology department and that's if they can get me in, I can hardly move when my bladder is full!! Don't worry I'm sure you'll get a full description whether you want one or not!! Hope you are feeling well today! xx

• Hi  

I don’t have any pain…not since I recovered from my last surgery. I have some issues with another condition which is not connected to my cancer or surgery, so I’m having yet another operation next month to be relieved of yet another body part, but no pain at the moment. I get a check up by phone from my surgeon every few months, and just need to call her if I want to be seen in person, so that suits me fine and is my choice. Basically I am doing just fine.

They've seen it all at hospital, I can assure you. My radiotherapy department even kept a supply of clean clothes in case anyone wet themselves or worse, but I always carried a change of clothes with me, which were required on several occasions! They understand the issues many of us have with a full bladder. 

I’ve not heard of the type of cyst you’ve mentioned, but maybe it is that and something that can be removed? Hope everything goes well tomorrow and it’s not too difficult getting the scan. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Oh that's brilliant you have no pain and can contact the doc how you want when you want! I'm sure that helps alot! I'm sorry another op is heading your way..I'm sure you must be pretty fed up by now! I've had something every year for a while now and the old energy levels get a battering, I had hoped I would get a break by now and could build my energy up a bit! My daughter (20yr) made me laugh, she keeps saying 'Not one more thing mummy!' I haven't told her anything since my last scare with my thyroid, I just say it's check ups and I'm glad as she said yesterday she didn't think I would make it through another op! I assured her I most def would, I'm not going anywhere lol!! That's so reassuring about the radiology, I feel much more confident thank you! I just feel sick at the thought of the pain ahead, I have a good threshold, I'm in pain everyday, but it's really unpleasant! Anyhow, thank you again for taking time out to help me, it takes a special person to help someone whilst they're going through so much! Sending you strength and a big hug!! xx

• Hi  

Sometimes it can seem like one thing after another, can’t it? When I was diagnosed with cervical cancer originally, there was an incidental finding of gallstones on my scan which I was told about. But they are very common, usually don’t cause any issues, and the priority was treating my cancer so this was left.

I had no issues until this year when I became really sick and jaundiced-emergency ambulance trip to hospital and ended up there for 9 days. Turns out one of the gallstones had blocked my bile duct so I had bad infections in my gallbladder and bile duct. They tried to remove the stone but weren’t successful so I went back in April to have the procedure again and it worked. The stone was very large so no wonder I was ill!

This could easily happen again and it can be life threatening, so I need to have my gallbladder removed asap. My daughter is getting married in less than 3 weeks so I’ve deferred the op till I get back from that, as I'm not missing it! I’m hoping it’s straightforward and keyhole but that may not be possible due to my exenteration surgery. So a bit of a mystery until they have a look inside. Can’t say I’m looking forward to another operation and recovery, but this should be much easier for me I hope.

Ongoing pain can really get you down-it’s tough to deal with mentally I found. But one of the doctors I saw when I was admitted the last time told me I had a very positive attitude and that played a big part in recovery. He said they see better results from patients with a positive mindset, so I’m going to keep my positive hat on going through this! I’m sure I’ll be able to handle any pain or discomfort after what I’ve been through before. 

Really hope everything will be ok with your scan today, and try not to worry about any accidents-it’s honestly so common and I found staff didn’t bat an eyelid. You come across as positive and focused, so don’t let a bit of wee stop that! Let me know how you get on and sending a big virtual hug right back at you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Oh lord...I had my gall bladder out a few years ago! My wife was hilarious as they weren't taking me seriously she'll yelled out 'She's yellow!!' and lo and behold I got an emergency op! I had hundreds off little ones!  Does the term 'Demented LAT's ring a bell?!'   You are so not getting it easy!! Let's hope it will be nothing like your previous experience!! You're dead right about a positive attitude, I don't know about you but I've plenty off things to be doing lol!! What a wonderful event to look forward too!! So excited for you!!   Not going good so far, Had physio appointment for swelling on top off my right foot, he thinks it's a cyst, in the nerve,Neuroma I think. Did not expect that at all! He wasn't concerned but he doesn't know about my other cysts etc I'm finding it very hard to believe that they aren't all related! Going to ask my doc for a full body mrI I think! Xx

• That made me laugh- I was yellow too but couldn’t really see it myself for some reason! Even my scalp was yellow-apparently.

I think we can get to thinking that everything is connected when they’re often random things happening at the same time, but it’s easy to think that when our minds are working overtime. I’m trying to do what I would always advise anyone else-only worry when there’s something to worry about! 

There would need to be a valid reason to get a gp referral for any type of scan, but mri scans are typically used on a specific part of the body, like pelvis or chest etc. The usual type of scan for your full body would be a pet scan or Ct scan. There is a tiny risk from radiation exposure when getting these scans, so they won’t be done just by asking for them. I’ve had many scans in the last 5 years, but only once had a petscan where you are injected with a radioactive tracer liquid. I only ever had scans for very specific reasons each time. The most likely for you given your symptoms etc would be a pelvic mri scan I would think-that was the first one for me, but it all depends on what the next steps are after the ultrasound today. Hope you’re not waiting too long for those results.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I've calmed lol deep breathing and I've refrained from standing outside my gp's door and stamping my feet!!  Think I'm just going to have benign lumps appearing in random places and I defo can't keep this level of worry up, I'm completely exhausted! Great news is my bladder and womb look fine so whatever the vagina lump is, it's contained! The Sonagrapher was lovely and took me in straight away when I said I was in difficulty, (Imagine a slightly chubby middle aged woman, wide eyes, bursting through the doors declaring, I can't hold on!!) So I guess she didn't have a choice!! It was tough but it's over! She spoke with a doctor/consultant there and they were able to tell me it was fine, could've kissed the woman!! So I'm going to rest the next few days, make myself stay away from Google (you're actually better than google, lol!!) and get my strength back!  Def wouldn't be as relaxed without you lady!! Be kind to yourself and I'll be back soon hopefully with a gynae appointment and the next round off 'You can't make this **** up!!'. Entertaining if nothing else!! xx