New & Welcoming Help

• 3 replies
  • 6 subscribers

I guess a warm hello to all for a start.

I am diagnosed with vaginal cancer, which has travelled to my lymph nodes.

As I guess everyone can understand, you think, my goodness, my life has changed forever now, and tears occasionally flow in private.

I have already had my biopsy; I did not realise that the first part of my new journey would be so painful, I literally can not even sit, let alone go to the toilet without pain - did any of you have this same biopsy and experience?

My first PET scan was last week and showed that cancer so far had not yet travelled past my lymph nodes in my pelvic region.

Today is Sunday; my team meet next Tuesday night to determine what is next on the agenda for my treatment and so forth.

It seems that first surgery removing my four lymph nodes in my pelvic region, the first 2+ weeks in hospital away from my husband of 30 years.

Next, it is discussed that chemo, internal radiotherapy and external radiotherapy.

Regardless of my own journey that has just begun, I wish all here the very warmest thoughts and kindest best wishes on their own journey at whatever stage you may be at during your own personal cancer experiences and hope we may all find in us to stay as strong as possible whilst supporting each other.

• Hi and a warm welcome to the Online Community. I myself have a different cancer and just dropped by but couldn't help noticing the time you wrote your post -  at 4 in the morning and my heart went out to you. I can remember doing that approximately this time last year and couldn't type through floods of tears. However I joined this site and found you're not alone on this scary journey. You've joined the Vaginal cancer group and soon the other members will be along to chat and help and support you. 

It's only a couple more days until you meet with your Consultant and they'll set out your treatment plan. Once you have that in place there's a sense of relaxation strangely. Then come back on here and ask questions or just share your fears. It'll be hard being away from your hubby for the first time in years, will he be able to visit?

Last year I was having all my tests and scans smack bang in the middle of the pandemic and did everything on my own - not ideal. I was even told by a nurse on the phone I had cancer - not by a consultant with nurses etc. present.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Wow, B, what a beautiful and warm welcome - thank you ever so much; I feel actually a little better having read your welcoming message and have definitely absorbed the welcoming hugs you have sent me.

Thank you ever so much for the links you have sent. I shall visit them after this warm thank you to you, B.

I am sorry for you in 2 ways - to hear over the phone your results somehow feels quite cold, but my diagnosis was confirmed over the phone also; as for lockdowns and the pandemic at the moment, I am holding my breath a few cases is floating around that may well put us all back in lockdown, time will tell before my surgery of removal of lymph nodes.

No, I have never been apart from my hubby in 30 years; we work together in business (currently on hold), lived together for over 36 years since I was 19 years old, so it shall be difficult if a lockdown does happen, how difficult for you being so alone during the pandemic.

Many thanks again, B; somehow, I feel already a little better just reading your warm reply.

Take care B XX

• Hi Catherine welcome to the community.   to hear your news I too was diagnosed last year, I found the biopsies uncomfortable and suffered fir 6,weeks but I was given antibiotics which helped tremendously and eased the pain, mention it to the Dr to see if there is anything to ease the pain. I completed my treatment in December chemo radiotherapy and brachytherapy. I’m on 3 monthly reviews. Look after yourself and I hope things go well. Gez