Vaginal cancer

• 6 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with stage 4A vaginal cancer in 2019, had radiotherapy/chemo. Given the provisional all clear. 
Unfortunately the little blighter has reappeared????
can’t have any more radiotherapy as already had the max.
Am meeting with surgical team next week with a view to removing my vagina, bladder and resectioning the bowel. 
Has anyone else had experience of this op?

thanks Tinzy

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

It must have been very disappointing for you to discover that your vaginal cancer has returned. Hopefully the surgical team should be able to answer any questions you might have about the operation and what you can expect afterwards when you meet with them this week. However, I can understand that talking to others who have gone through it is even better. 

While you're waiting for replies you could use the group's search facility to search for posts which mention this type of surgery, replying to any of the more recent ones if you think the poster could help further.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Let us know how you get on this week.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi TInzy 

I am going through exactly the same. I went in yesterday for the consultant to have an explorer under general and come up with a plan. I have VC which is too close to my bowel to be removed without losing my bowel too. 
    hopefully they might be able to save my bladder. 
    so so scary. 
    how are you doing now x

drbbie. 

• Hi Debbie, 

hope you are doing ok? Such a shock for you. It takes a while to get your head around it all. 

Hopefully am having some treatment called Sabr going to have a planning MRI on Monday. 

The surgical team decided I wasn’t fit enough to have the op to remove the bladder and resection to bowel. 
    It’s over 16 weeks since I had the confirmation of the VC recurrence. Still haven’t had any treatment???? Covid times means everything takes twice as long!!! Never waited this long last time!!! 

Stay positive, you must look after yourself. 
    Tinzy xxx

• Hi Tinzy, 

How has your treatment with Sabr progressed? Where did you have it?Was it ok? Any side effects?

I am in a similar position. Had bladder cancer 6 years ago, cured with radiotherapy and chemo. Now have vaginal cancer. First option was surgery to remove all the organs in the pelvis, but was deemed not fit enough for that. Can’t have conventional radiotherapy as have had so much already. Now talking about electron radiotherapy plus chemo or possibly brachytherapy. Consultant concerned that too much radiotherapy could cause a fistula between the rectum and vagina. Interested that they have decided on Sabr for you. Would appreciate any info .

Many thanks

Best wishes

Redtree

• Hi Redtree, 

• I’m so sorry to hear you’ve got another Cancer. So unfair when you’ve already been through so much. 
      I have had the Sabre treatment at Oxford. It was 5 sessions. It does take approx 60-90 minutes per session and you’re in the MRI for the whole of the session. It actually sounds much worse than it was! 
      The after effects seem very similar to external beam radiotherapy. Mostly diarrhoea and soreness. 
      I would ask your Consultant if you could be considered for it??? 
      Anyway good luck with whichever treatment you have,
    • Tinzy
  • Hi Tinzy,

Thank you so much for your speedy response. It is good to chat with someone going through the same thing. 
    The info on Sabr was helpful. I will ask my consultant about it next week

Thanks again and good luck,

Redtree