Practical hints and tips for dealing with radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hello, I am new and a close family member has been recently diagnosed with vaginal cancer. Please can you give me help about what to expect and how we (the rest of the family) can help during her treatment? Any practical stuff would be much appreciated.

• Hi I’ve sent you a friend request I hope I can help you.

I was diagnosed with Stage 2B vaginal cancer in December 2012.

Im still here to share my experience.

kind Regards Heart

• Hi Teaand,

We all react differently to the treatment, but her lady garden will become sore and very tender, I used flamazine after my treatment had finished, looking  back, I personally feel it would have advisable to use it at week 3 of my treatment, obviously after my radiotherapy session not before!

Buy one of those doughnut inflatable rings, sitting down can be a little (understatement!) uncomfortable.

Bowel movements will change too, it's I was put on a very low fiber diet, again we all react differently.

If she is having chemo, I would advise she drinks tons of water, it helps flush out you system

Most of all, just be there,. make sure they know they are loved and they have support. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Shelley2012

Hello, thank you for getting in touch. Yes, i remember the donut rings from my pregnancy.  Though this is a little different. 

I will pass on your advice. X

Kind regards

Faye 

• Hi Faye, Its harsh treatment, not just physically but mentally..if she is married, he needs needs to know that she will have very off days,..best thing he can do is tell her he loves her and be that shoulder to cry on..theres a Facebook group called cancer survivors and supporters, both of them would benefit from  joining, it's been a godsend for me x Shelley