How old were you when diagnosed?

• 5 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone, I've recently been diagnosed with stage 3 vaginal cancer. I've been told by my oncologist how rare this cancer is and more so for my age (I'm 39) 

I have 2 under 3 years old and live with my partner, I will be having chemoradation followed by brachytherapy. 

I'm interested to know if there are any others out there that have broken the mould of being over 60 when diagnosed.

Is there anyone out there juggling a family and treatment? How have you found it?

Any advise greatly appreciated . X

• Hi and a warm welcome to the Online Community but I'm sorry you find yourself here. I myself have a different cancer so I can't answer your question unfortunately. Hopefully the other members will be along soon to share experiences. I do know from other groups that juggling childcare and treatment can be challenging. I'd suggest you give the Macmillan Support helpline a ring, number shown below, they'll be able to offer advise hopefully.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. 

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi WilLen 

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I don't have the same cancer as you but I had chemoradiation for 5 weeks back in January this year across my pelvis as the tumours were against my vaginal wall. My boys are 13 & 19. Luckily/unluckily my treatment was during lockdown so both boys were at home. Home schooling went completely out the window with my youngest though. I hope you have a good support network around you to help you with your little ones. I would say take any help thats offered. The chemo tablets put me off my food and made me nauseous, going through the radiotherapy was ok I wasn't anywhere near as tired as I thought although you do get sore, but the nurses are so good at supporting you through the stages of it. 

Please message me if you want any more info or helpful advice, although everyone's experiences are different. 

Look after yourself and be kind to yourself. 

Blackswan x

• I had ovarian cancer 8 years ago, it reappeared in my vagina earlier this year. I have had a course of radiotherapy in July which I found much harder than chemo 8 years ago. I won’t have a scan til next month but I do have an ongoing discharge, sometimes slightly bloody which has been after long walks tho I’m worried it’s getting more frequent. Nurse said I’m still healing. Has anyone else had this and how do they cope with it because I’ve been told the discharge may be permanent. I’ve been wearing pads now since April!

Thanks. 

• Hi WilLen - I was 48 with a 6 year old...I managed to sweet talk the guys who booked the appointments, so for all but one day (chemo day) I did the drop off and pick up from school..

I expect you've been through treatment now...hope all went well  x

• I have constant watery discharge   (not a massive amount)...it's basically caused by vaginal atrophy...I know! It truly is the gift that keeps on giving...I use pads, but Im looking at switching over to period pants (light flow)...