VAIN3

• 3 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi this is my first post and am concerned about bleeding. I had a total hysterectomy in December 22 following abnormal smears and treatment. In June 23 I had a vault smear which came back abnormal. Then 2 small lumps were found in August which came back as VAIN3. In January I had another biopsy which came back as VAIN2. In March they found another area of concern but came back as cell changes consistent with HPV and the previous biopsy had not healed. Following weeks of pain and bleeding I spent 2 weeks trying to get another appointment. When I finally thought I had an appointment 6 weeks later it hadn’t been booked in but the gynaecologist agreed to see me. I had another vault smear which has come back high grade dyskaryosis. On 30 June I had a major vaginal bleed. It was so scary and I lost so much blood I thought I was going to bleed to death. The gynaecologists don’t know why it happened and can’t really find the place it came from as by the time they examined me it had stopped due to being given clotting medication. I am still waiting the biopsy results. Has anyone else had the bleeding? I’m really concerned it’s a sign of cancer . 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read what has happened with you and can understand how anxious you will be to find out more. The delays must have been difficult to deal with, but it is really a case of sitting tight and waiting for the biopsy results. 

I had bleeding, but because of  cervical cancer, so my situation was different, but I didn’t want to leave you post without a reply. You will I’m sure know that VAIN and the high grade dyskariosis identified on your vault smear are not cancer, but because of the bleeding the results of the biopsy are needed to determine the next steps.

Are you still on the clotting medication to stop the bleeding? Do you know when to expect the biopsy results? I hope you find out more soon, and know what’s happening. Please keep us posted if you can, and feel free to post again if you’d like to. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah

Thank you for your reply. I have finished the clotting medication now. I think the biopsy results take about 6 weeks and they have to discuss my case in the MDT meeting too. So at least another 3 weeks to wait. The waiting is so hard isn’t it and not knowing if I will have another bleed is so scary. 

• Waiting was for me the worst part of the whole process-it’s just so hard, and so stressful. I had some very bad bleeds in the run up to my own diagnosis, and not knowing when that might happen was horrible so I really feel for you. 

It’s difficult not to let our minds run away with worst case scenarios, but I tried to concentrate on thinking I didn’t have cancer until the doctors said I did. Try and keep busy and distracted if you can. Watching mindless stuff on my iPad-catch up and box sets kept me from dwelling on things I didn’t know for sure.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm