Vaginal Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 3 subscribers

I had breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago.  A couple years prior to that I had an abnormal pap.  I had a cervical freeze, leep/cone and last year was told the cells were precancer but on vaginal wall.  I went to MD Anderson for treatment.  They did 3 laser ablation surgeries.  Within 3 months of the second one, I had bleeding after sex.  They did it again and also did multiple biopsies.  They found cancer and MRI revealed swollen lymph nodes.  I just got the PET scan approved for May 10th.  Trying to get it earlier.  Doctor says they will not remove lymph nodes.  They are doing radiation daily with chemo once per week.  The doctor says its on the cervix and vaginal wall.  

• Hi  and thanks for putting this further post on the group.

I hope that the petscan will give your doctors more information, especially regarding the lymphnodes. I’m not sure whether you will get more replies if you post this in the cervical cancer group, as from what you have said it sound like you have a diagnosis of cervical cancer rather than vaginal cancer.

Have you had any biopsies done to confirm which type of cancer it is? You haven’t mentioned a stage for your cancer, but I’m assuming that will be based on your petscan results and whether lymphnode involvement is confirmed. If your plan is chemoradiation, that sounds as if surgery is not an option for you. 

I had cervical cancer but it was growing into the vaginal wall, so my treatment, which was chemoradiation, was based on it being cervical cancer and not vaginal. I had radiotherapy daily, and chemo once a week, which was Cisplatin. Do you know if this is your planned chemo? 

I see that you are in the USA, and it’s fine to be with us here, but just so as you are aware, Macmillan is a UK based charity and cancer treatments and processes will be based on UK protocols so you may see some differences. For example in the UK our health service provides our scans and treatments with no charge and we don’t need to have insurance for this. It means we don’t need to get approval for scans from an insurance company and we don’t pay for our health care system. 

I think it would be really helpful if you can confirm exactly which type of cancer you have to be sure you can connect with other ladies on the same path. Many of us in the cervical group have been through chemoradiation and will be happy to share our experiences of how our treatment went. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Well they only saw it on the vaginal wall but doctor said she is sure the cervix is effected.  The MRI showed swollen lymph nodes.  She said iitost likely started from cervix but they call it where they see it for now.  

• Hi  

I hope you’ll get answers soon-normally a biopsy is one of the first things done in identifying cancer, and that will establish the type of cells which will then determine the type cancer. Have you had a biopsy yet? 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• It was.  

Vaginal cuff, biopsy, vaginal wall biopsy:
    FOCAL INVASIVE SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA IN A BACKGROUND OF HIGH GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (VaIN-3). (SEE COMMENT)